GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Manifold carbon build up

syntex

Passed Driver's Ed
Whats is the best solution for the manifd carbon build up?
Without removing the manifold

Thanks
uploadfromtaptalk1432924519770.png

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Hot engine + solvent seems to help. Nothing will do as good as a manual cleaning.

In my case I used Seafoam aerosol, CRC came out with a specific product for DI buildup.

E-Mail seafoam sales to get an exotic application straw (Melted end shut and 4 holes poked into the side, makes a nice mist cloud) and pick up a rubber stopper from a hardware store. Drill hole in stopper, push straw through stopper and insert the contraption through the IAT sensor hole on the manifold.

Took off a lot of the darker buildup but left the light grey baked on deposits.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Driving hard for 30 min (Italian tune up) will minimize the deposits. I turned 110k and still haven't removed the manifold.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
Don't use very much solvent. Most top brand blow-by products only have 3oz of solvent in them per 12oz can or bottle.
I use my own method and my solution is 12oz fuel and either [2oz NAPHTHA and 2oz Mineral Spirits] or [just 4oz of either Spirits or NAPHTHA]. So 12oz fuel with 4oz solvent. Engine temps need to be at operating temps. If wanting to increase the amount...just add more fuel to the 4oz of solvent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy53uOVeSKw

My bore-scope pics
Before:

After:

Driving hard for 30 min (Italian tune up) will minimize the deposits. I turned 110k and still haven't removed the manifold.

I'm skeptical of that working well on a direct injected engine. It works on indirect injected engines because fuel enters through the valves.

'course, I have a borescope but haven't stuck it into the manifold on mine, at 101k.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
1. Delete manifold.
2. Delete valves.
3. ???
4. Profit.

Kidding aside, I did a manual cleaning at around 90k and it was super gross in there. It's probably gross again already at 130k now.

pb4ugoout

Ready to race!
I'm skeptical of that working well on a direct injected engine. It works on indirect injected engines because fuel enters through the valves.

'course, I have a borescope but haven't stuck it into the manifold on mine, at 101k.

I have a borescope but can't get the thing through the IAT hole in the manifold without it accumulating a ton of black crusty stuff over the lens. I guess I need a smaller scope. I haven't done anything in 120k miles and really haven't had any issues. Every now and then I just floor it, watch the black smoke go everywhere, and figure it's good enough. I never get black smoke on subsequent runs in the same time frame so I know it's blowing out something.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Deleted my flaps and can get the bore scope down to the valves easy now.

Whats not baked on can be cleaned off chemically, getting to cyl 1 & 4 are tougher.

iagiansti

Whats is the best solution for the manifd carbon build up?
Without removing the manifold

Thanks
View attachment 95712

Just curious if you have a catch can installed ? I'm at 75k without one and have pumped alot of oil thru the engine. I'm about to get a walnut-shell blast as I have been having idle and misfire issues lately. I'm scared to see what my valves look like.

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
There are real patents for what I'm saying. The high rpm creates a very hot operating environment and essentially starts baking it off the valves. Stop using 6th gear and do some highway driving in the hills.

Last edited: