GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maintenance according to the ECU

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
My GTI is currently at 72xx km and I am supposed to take the car for its first maintenance at 8000 km or by November. However, the ECU says that I have to service the car now. Do I listen to the ECU or just wait until 8000 km for service?

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Just take it in now, 800km isn't too big of a difference.

He said 8,000km. That's a fairly large difference. I personally always follow what the manual says, or what my car says. Just take it in now.

KiwiKawaii

Ready to race!
He said 8,000km. That's a fairly large difference. I personally always follow what the manual says, or what my car says. Just take it in now.

8000km - 72xxkm = 7xxkm? :thumbsup:

Besides, the ECU won't call for a maintainence so far off, unless he has been abusing the vehicle that its wearing prematurely.

MagicChic

GolfMKV Madame
Car(s)
2006 VW GTI
Ohh, I read it all wrong! Nevermind! Sorry! I was reading as he was saying "I can wait 8,000km's more to take it in...or should I do it now?"

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I will take it in then. Also, I have not abused my car, I treat it as if it were my baby :biggrin:

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
I just called the local VW dealer and he said that the ECU was just calibrated differently so I can wait for the 8000 km mark with no problems.

Thoughts on that?

07Noside

Banned
I just called the local VW dealer and he said that the ECU was just calibrated differently so I can wait for the 8000 km mark with no problems.

Thoughts on that?

The MFD service pattern is automatically set to a certain time countdown as well as distance depending on your zone may it be 7800kms or 5000 miles here in the states. you can not change this and will always have to reset the service indicator in regular intervals. I just reset mine whenever I do an oil change and with fully synthetic oil that we use putting on a few extra past the service date/mileage isn't going to damage the motor unless your beating it. once again if you do put more strain on the motor than the factory intended then you should decrease the intervals between servicing. I.E. my car is operating well beyond factory spec I change my oil and service the car no more then every 3100 miles.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Thanks for the opinions. I'll probably take it in soon.

pak668

Ignore Alien Orders

Thoughts on that?

Trust me, the guy that calibrated the ECU knows way more about your engine than the dealer. I would recommend taking it in pretty soon.

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
It shouldn't say take it in now, it should be counting down to 8000 kms. If you have 7200, it should say 800 left to service when you turn on the ignition.

After this, it will still come on every 8000. After 16k, you can move to a 16k interval if you choose, which is also stated in the manual. If you drive somewhat aggressively, I'd stick to 8k.

twisted by dezign

Interiors win races
Car(s)
08 Stage 2+ GTI
Yeah I'm puzzled to why it said Service Now at ~7200 kms, I haven't abused the car or anything (spirited driving is another thing...). Oh well, no harm in bringing it in 800 kms early?