GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Made my move today!

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
I'm thinking about it, looks great on your car.

I wasn't really prepared to take the car straight away (going on holidays etc) so I thought I may aswell wait and get what I want. Though it will be hard to say no if the dealer rings with a similarly specced GTI.

I had to wait 3 1/2 months for the MINI and I don't regret it at all. You'll be fine. :smoking:

The colour coding cost us a bit under $900 after being put on to David Smash Repairs in Queanbeyan by the local VW dealer in Canberra. I was pretty happy with that price. I've heard figures as much as $1500 for a similar job, I reckon somewhere around $1000 is probably the going rate. Better, of course, if you can get it cheaper. Just make sure they prep the surface so that the painted areas are nice and smooth. The guys at David did a pretty good job on ours. There's a few bits that aren't 100%, but nobody else would notice them without looking. Overall, we're very happy with the job.

srbsta, I actually reckon it would look really good on BMP, even though it might seem daft to do on a black car. Honestly, this colour coding should be done from factory IMO.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
With the windows up, I find the MkV roof thumps at almost any speed (and some speeds worse than others). I rarely have it retracted. I thought the wind deflector (which broke up airflow across the opening) on the MkIV was better than the flat one one the MkV. That's why I think it thumps, but I think it's worse than the MkIV, which was far quieter.

Minigolf also had a MkIV GTI and he thinks the MkV roof is better than the MkIV one.. :iono:

I don't know if it's just me or if perhaps not all Golf sunroofs are created equal...

Ours shudders a bit at sub 50km/h speeds, although as Kirium suggests, winding down a window helps this enormously. From about 50-80km/h (aqnd over if you can deal with the wind noise) I find the sunroof is fine. Our Mk4 sunroof as the other way around, it would shudder pretty badly at anything over 50km/h.

:iono:

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
hey minigolf what rimz are those on the mini they look vry nice and love the colour coding on the GTI look sooo nice......

Thank you. :w00t:

The MINI rims are R90 replicas (ie. R90 alloys is the OEM model code). The OEM wheels 2-piece and cost about $5500 with rubber through a MINI dealer. My genuine fakeys were about $2K with rubber (only a one piece design though). I got them via AMG in Rushcutters Bay, but best to deal direct with Rani at ABI Wheels (see store on eBay).

:burnrubber:

moomoonel

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
any 3dr owners can answer my "launch control" question?

Donald32

Backseat Driver
Ours shudders a bit at sub 50km/h speeds, although as Kirium suggests, winding down a window helps this enormously. From about 50-80km/h (aqnd over if you can deal with the wind noise) I find the sunroof is fine. Our Mk4 sunroof as the other way around, it would shudder pretty badly at anything over 50km/h.

I tend to agree with Minigolf as my missus' Mk3 and Mk4 shuddered mainly at the higher speeds. With my limited use, I thought her MkV is a vast improvement, even at the lower speeds.

Goneincognito

Go Kart Champion

Do you have it open completley or leave the last little bit exopsed? If I leave the last bit exposed there is no noise at low speed.. Can have all the windows up and it is fine.

captainslow

Mr Oversteer
lol !! they spend 5 mins on the sunroof to make sure i know how that works :)

although i am starting to wonder if the seatbelt warning actually works. i notice the minute i started the car and closed the door, if i undo it to reverse the car or re-enter the car it won't come on.

Lima

Vorsprung durch technik
Do you have it open completley or leave the last little bit exopsed? If I leave the last bit exposed there is no noise at low speed.. Can have all the windows up and it is fine.

Yes, in relation to my earlier comments on both my old Mk4 and current Mk5 the sunroof is opened to the "comfort" position. They actually make it a bit harder to open it past this position on the Mk5 when compared to the Mk4.

:thumbsup: