GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lowering on 235 35 19

TRosey

I just put some Golf R takeoff 19" Cadiz wheels and contisport 235 35 19 tires on my MK5. I would like to lower it soon to close up the ugly wheel gap but don't want to rub.
The wheels are 19x8 et 50.
Does anyone know how low i can go? Any springs or coils suggestions to achieve that drop?

Hrimnir

Passed Driver's Ed
I've been doing a ton of research on this, and the basic gist I've discovered is that about 1" is the max, and even then you're rolling the dice. You at the very least are probably gonna have to do the fender screw mod. Eibach Pro Kit is probably gonna be the limit, or if you get coilovers that allow you to keep it at an inch or less.

BTW I can't say this from personal experience, just from what I've read. So take that all with a grain of salt.

clownish

just clowning around
Car(s)
VWs
I first dropped my car on VW DG springs with 19x8.5 et45 wheels on 235/35/19 tires and I needed to remove the top fender liner screws to avoid rubbing. With Bilstien PSS9s set almost to the bottom (max drop is 35mm if I remember correctly) I needed to roll fenders. With The cooks dropped to the bottom I opted for a OEM-looking widen, pull and roll fenders for a FTG around 24

Try some VWR or DG springs w/ some Bilstien B8 sport struts or go for some coilovers like KW v2, STs, Bilstien PSS etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
I run h&r oe sports with Koni yellows. I just added some 245/40/17 with 17x8 wheels and love them (pics in thread at top Konig Inception installed). Not a lot of people would have stayed with 17's but my priority was really performance not looks. I saved 2 lbs per corner, only had to do the fender screw mod to get them to fit at my height which is nothing, and its new handling manner are simply impeccable. Very predictable limits which give out smoothly and great feedback. They launch very very hard and are very difficult to overpower even with my setup. There is no wasted energy on wheel hop even, if the tires are not fully gripping they are making tremendous forward progress instead of bunny hopping . Take a serious look at the H&R OE sports and some Koni FSD or Yellows. They my not be the lowest (Looks like you have an 07 so you will get about .8" lower) option etc but they are some of the most versatile as far as the performance gains and tires and wheels you can run with them. You may be able to fit some 245's under there which would be cool.