GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Loud engine ticking, i dont think its injectors

Kishon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MkvGti
Hey guys, I know the TFSI is direct injection, hence the loud ticking noise from the engine bay. But mine has been getting louder by the day.:thumbdown: If i'm correct the sound seems to be coming from the camshaft area, so i'm guessing Hydraulic lifters and cam followers. Get closer to the HPFP and it sounds like santa's jingle bells. Only i suspect he aint bringing me anything good this year. :cry: (cam follwer changed 2 months ago.... old one wasn't bad)

So is there a diy for replacing the camshaft and Hydraulic lifters out, with the tools i need. I'm not a mechanic but a good DIY would help like most of the others did on here. ( i should mention, i think my PCV is gone cause theres oil all around my filler cap).:help:

Tutti57

Ready to race!
Can you post a video or sound clip? I it's not the follower It could e the cam chain from a failing tensioner.

Cryptic1911

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008.5 GTI

xatnys360

Ready to race!
I'd like to hear a video - I know audio quality s usually pretty poor, but it might give us a better idea of what you're on about. You said PCV is gone - I would start by fixing everything I knew for sure was broke and then reassess. If you had an aftermarket PCV solution, I was going to suggest your issue may be the check valve in the rear PCV hose (crank case -> turbo inlet area) - I've heard that sucker get loud on a lot of cars.