GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking to down coolant freezing point

DarkX

Your Boss :P
Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
As the title says, I'll be in need for coolant to withstand around -30C (-22F). We checked our coolant and it holds up to around -23 to -25 (-9.4 to -13). We measured it with that little thing that sucks coolant through a tube that you stick in, trying to suck as much coolant as possible to get an accurate reading. Anyway, anyone knows how do I go about lowering that temp? Different coolant? And which one? Thanks.

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Can I add coolant to my existing dilution? It will exceed max line but that won't matter. Adding too much will at some point cause overflow so the extra mixture will just drop to the ground, so logic tells me that this way I will increase coolant percentage. Also one other thing, if I'm not mistaken increasing coolant percentage in the dilution makes it harder for the system to circulate it. So in order to drop temperature by that many degrees as mentioned in my first post but at the same time avoid causing damage to the system, how much coolant do you think I have to add? ..assuming it's okay to just add to my existing dilution. I thought there were different coolants according to temperature.

By the way it's the first time I'm dealing with coolant because the car has barely lost few drops over all this time. I will need such a low temperature for only a week as I'm heading to a ski resort, checked their weather and it's colder than what my current dilution can take.

4Motioner

4Motion, baby!
Car(s)
2007 Golf V
80% of cars in Finland have coolant that can withstand around -40'c, so you'll be fine taking out a bit of your old coolant and adding non-diluted new coolant to down the freezing point.

Elwood

3-7-77
use less water in your coolant dilution but make sure to switch back come warmer weather
Adding more coolant (beyond a 50-50 mix) usually will not lower the freezing point. Read the mixing instructions on a jug of coolant. Going to 60-40 might help, but 65-35 might take you the other direction. The best way to lower the freezing temp is to drain, flush, and add fresh coolant according to the directions on the bottle.

Zach L

VR junkie
Adding more coolant (beyond a 50-50 mix) usually will not lower the freezing point. Read the mixing instructions on a jug of coolant. Going to 60-40 might help, but 65-35 might take you the other direction. The best way to lower the freezing temp is to drain, flush, and add fresh coolant according to the directions on the bottle.

Correct. Don't overfill ...drain the old then put in a fresh mixture according to whatever they say is the best ratio on the current bottle you're using.

Cynikal.Mindset

GTI Virus Infected

DarkX

Car(s)
GTI ED30 DSG
Thanks. :thumbsup: I'll post pics of my vacation, I'm going in about 3 weeks.