GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Looking for some opinions.

The Fiddle

Mash the skinny pedal
Hello all, first off just wanted to let yall know I've been lurking this forum for a while now and am finding this place very helpful and informative (as much as an internet forum can be...).

I'm currently considering getting into a MkV GTI sometime in the near future and am just looking for some opinions on a few GTI's that have caught my eye.

First:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=c&car_id=291088888&dealer_id=72348&car_year=2008&doors=&systime=&model=GTI&search_lang=en&start_year=2007&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&scarid=293189241&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=100&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1296705863521&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=80615&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=65&standard=false

Second:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=288760124&dealer_id=595650&car_year=2008&doors=&systime=&model=GTI&search_lang=en&start_year=2007&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&scarid=293189241&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=100&min_price=&drive=&rdm=1296705863521&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2009&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&address=80615&color=&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=&awsp=false&make=VOLKS&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=19&standard=false

The second one IMO is priced a little on the high side though...

After reading some of the tech threads it does seem the FSI 2.0T has some issues, but are they really serious for something that might see a Stage 1 APR or REVO (maybe stage 2, depends) tune and some exhaust work?

I've not driven one myself so I must ask, how is the power in these cars? Low end grunt, top end screamer or mid-range puller? (Coming from a 383 Z71, so it has some expectations I'd like it to meet haha)

Lastly, how do these MkV's hold up in the long run (say 90k+ miles)?

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I would deff talk to the dealer about the price. I got my 07 with 39k miles and a the certified pre owned warranty for an aditional 24k miles for 17k flat out the door. But I am in FL though.

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Did you have a silverado? The cars have great acceleration and dont start getting a great pull till a little higher in the RPM range, but the have some pep in their step lol. And from what I have seen on here not to much and you can have it moving pretty quick!

The Fiddle

Mash the skinny pedal
Yeah I still have the Silverado.

Compared to the tuning for GM trucks that I'm used to the tuning for these cars is a little expensive, but seems worth it.

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Oh yea its gonna demand a little more out of your wallet thats for sure. But in my own opinion worth it, and your going to love how much money you will save on gas as well. And even though your truck your has the bigger V8 you will feel a difference with the this car ( given ur not gonna be slammed back to your seat with huge amounts of G-force lol. But if you take care of it will last forever.

Dubber13

Fahrvergnügen
Car(s)
2007 GTI
Oh and tuning wise for these cars what is nice is the fact that you can actually swap out some of you parts with Audi parts and save money as well as build power. For instance you can swap your stock intercooler with a S3 intercooler and it will mount right up. If you get the FSI I think TSI requires a little modification.

FightinScot

Save the wee tootles
Car(s)
07 MKV GTI
I would look at the first one and see if they can't work on the price. It is a little but high in my opinion, but nothing ridiculous.

The power is good and has a good amount of room for improvement. A few hundred dollars can give you a large power and torque gain. I have yet to do anything major on mine, but thus far I am happy with the power and handling. And compared to my last car, the room in the boot is substantially larger.