GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

looking at picking up a track car... need help.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
so i've been parting out my GTI so i can spend the money on a track dedicated car and stop beating on the DD. my dilemma is what to pick... now i know i can afford an AP1 s2k and it would be great, but then the issue comes up of part/repair costs. then i start thinking of something like a miata, which can be had for next to nothing and leave plenty of cash for parts, fixes, etc. then there's the ever present e30 or e36 bmw's which are also cheap as a stick of gum. then i go back to the s2k and think that i can track it and drive it on weekends once in a while and have fun.

so basically they all have pros/cons. what do you guys think would be a good second weekend/track car to get?

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
I think the S2K is better because it has more power than the Miata. Another suggestion is a 240SX which is lightweight RWD also, but again, no real power in the stock form.

I would also suggest a 2nd generation MR2, but it's hard to find good examples of them.

Angel@forge

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
06 A3 sport
240 or miata then swap it for more power if you feel the need. Both are cheap to buy, maintain and modify. And if you do wad it up at the track another shell is not gonna be an issue.

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
haha, it's not that i'm using the mod money to buy the track car. i just don't want to beat on the GTI anymore so figured might as well get that money back and use it for parts on the new car. my budget is about 15k for the second car itself. that doesn't include any kind of tires/wheels/brake i'ld buy on top of the car. obviously cost:fun ratio is important. but yeah, i think an elise would be a bit out of the price range...

DeathB4Dishonr

Lasers go Pew Pew
Car(s)
2k6 BMP GTI
I think the S2K is better because it has more power than the Miata. Another suggestion is a 240SX which is lightweight RWD also, but again, no real power in the stock form.

I would also suggest a 2nd generation MR2, but it's hard to find good examples of them.

and semi pricey. i picked up a 93 mr2 turbo with 106k miles bone stock last year for 5k, even got lucky and has a factory lsd.

Trey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 Reflex Silver
Have you considered maybe an RX-8, or even a RX-7? I hear the RX-8s are well balanced.

BoardSnow6

Banned
Car(s)
Capita Scaremaster
Dont get an rx-8... i had one...

What about an NA miata and do a 13b-REW turbo swap from a Turbo-II FC?

Trey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'07 Reflex Silver
Dont get an rx-8... i had one...

What about an NA miata and do a 13b-REW turbo swap from a Turbo-II FC?

In that case, I say turn that little Miata into a TRACK MONSTER!!

:character0293:

Rich241

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
How serious are you going to get with this? Is it only going to be a track dedicated car?