GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Longevity

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
300k miles? That's amazing.

Still on the original clutch too, which I cannot fathom since my mother is the worst manual driver in the world. :iono: yet mine chattered at 20k. Compression and everything is still solid in the engine, starts fine cold and gets driven daily through the winter. Its been a solid car for us, but I don't think its typical of the mk4s...

Also what I mean with the MB is the stuff I replaced like the ignition stuff, all the filters, brakes, all that is normal stuff that needs to be done once cars age. I doubt these VWs will be any different. If that was happening up front (and it seems like some of the folks who HAVE had problems have had to do this), I would be very concerned. My main issue would be the price of some of the jobs and perhaps special tools/knowledge to do them. Of course people probably said that 20 years ago about my merc too...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
It's great to see some success stories too. Far too often we see people venting about the negative.

I think half of my disgruntled nature is the fact half of my crap happened immediately after I took the K04 off. But it seemed inevitable

And don't get me wrong, besides the rattles (easily repairable with some foam) and the ticking time bomb that is which is my tensioner (I've had 3-4 close call startups and a rattle every time beyond that) the car will last as long as I take care of it. So I need to be fair in that sense.

I'm stage 2 with down pipe and mounts. That's all and it feels comfortable and seemingly solid. Once I go Stage 1 I should feel pretty confident of keeping it maintained until 150K.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
It's not reliability for me. My 2012 Mk6 GTI has been quite reliable. It only stranded me once but that was because of improper sealing of the ECU after a stage 1 tune and it took 6 weeks for that problem to come up.

I just want luxury, leather, and a sedan or wagon body now. Having a hatch is just to boy racer for me.

Also, I'd like to have a car that is fast right out of the lot and does not need $10k in work to be fast.

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion
It all comes down to Maintenance!

If the manual says to change the blinker fluid every 3k miles then you change the Blinker Fluid every 3k Miles! LOL

But seriously though, if you mod the motor and suspension, you loose that reliablility factor. But if you just change oil, filter, fluids, belts, hoses, tires and brakes during the scheduled mileage/time then you should have a car that will last for darn near half YOUR life! It all comes down to doing the things that our Grandfathers did, general maintenance on their own stuff.

We live in a throw away society, so naturally, the first little thing that goes wrong, we call up the dealer or the sales rep, or the realtor to buy new... If we just took care of the things we buy with general maintenance then we wouldn't be filling up the landfills and the junk yards.

But, that doesn't make it good for Business, so if you are a business minded person, sure, abuse that stuff, then buy new, help out your fellow BILLIONAIRE/Millionaire and his/her business!

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think some of the idea is that many cars have been very VERY reliable when modding it and we're getting a false sense of reliability with our vehicles expecting the same.

As mentioned before, I've modded vehicles way more than this one and never had a single issue. I've had friends modify many other vehicles with no issues. This one just seems......temperamental.

Pay to play.....but BE READY.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
APR supercharger and sways are the only mods you need. :)

APR s/c is only for the RS4/RS5/R8 4.2, though I have considered looking for one of those engines since it would be a relatively easy swap. Yearly carbon cleaning doesn't really sound like fun though, so who knows.

Making more power is the easy part anyway, my main concern is losing weight without losing functionality. Carbon fiber hoods exist and save 50 lbs, but nobody has done any of the rest of the body panels so that would mean custom fabrication for big $$ - though that could also mean wide RS4 fenders and functional aerodynamic parts which would be a major upgrade.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I think some of the idea is that many cars have been very VERY reliable when modding it and we're getting a false sense of reliability with our vehicles expecting the same.

As mentioned before, I've modded vehicles way more than this one and never had a single issue. I've had friends modify many other vehicles with no issues. This one just seems......temperamental.

Pay to play.....but BE READY.

Your issues only happened when you DEmodded your car.

<One does not simply remove k04 meme>

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Your issues only happened when you DEmodded your car.

<One does not simply remove k04 meme>

I know right? It's almost reverse of what you would think it is.

At this point, I shouldve just stayed K04 and not have any worries :D

My car is mad at me apparently.