GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Left Lane Campers

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The people that come to a dead stop absolutely make me lose my shit.
We have so many overly medicated elderly in Florida that do this, but they'll drive right through stop signs like they don't exist. Almost got run over at lunch on a bike ride by a 90 yo woman in a Lexus that just drove right through a stop sign. It's getting to the point in my area where you have be prepared to stop even when you don't have a stop sign, because they just drive right through them.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
There's too many people here for the left lane to really be open anyway. Whether it's in town or on the highway all 3 lanes are always filled up. During rush hour it's so bad that all 3 highway lanes come to a crawl at every on-ramp. If you're on I-75 or US41 during november-april and between 4-6pm you're likely not going any faster than 35 mph.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
Don't be polite, be predictable.

If you are in the left lane, even when it's perfectly legal to be there, please don't pace the car to your right. As I said before, in Colorado the left lane law is only in play on highways with a speed of 65mph or higher, however the logic still applies to every road. If you aren't passing, or turning, you shouldn't be in the left lane. If you choose to be in the left lane anyway due to pothole, or whatever, just don't pace the person next to you. Ideally, you should pass them and move over, but at a minimum create enough space that you and the person to your right aren't dictating the pace for every other person on the road.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
In congested areas, I find right lane flows better in the ~ half mile leading up to a entrance/exit, and the left lane flows better in-between. So I am going back and forth between the two and make marvelous time through traffic jams. I’m talking 20 minute delays that become 5 minute delays.

it does, of course, take a bit of balls and aggression to get across 4 lanes. But I’m way less a danger in those situations than the zillion idiots in early 2000’s c-class on bald tires flying 100 and weaving

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
European approach? Here in Germany they video check your distance, and fine you. In april Police has sent pics and numbers of their work to the press. What do you see? - I see 12 cars, of the first 10 not a single one uses the right lane. It’s a law over here too. The police doesn’t care, although they have it on tape.
View attachment 228864
That's a shame... I lived in Kitzingen, Germany for a year and commuted to Pirmasens and Grafenwoehr at least once a week. I saw the polizei pulling people over for riding the left lane quite often. I guess they have slacked a lot since then.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Half of my arguments with the miss are her reacting to my profanities directed @ left lane dampers, and generally idiotic drivers. nothing worse than the “tap the brakes for no reason every couple seconds” people, or those that literally just do things with 0 rhyme or reason, like get in the left lane @ 60mph as I’m approaching @ 80 without looking to see if someone was coming, and not accelerating or getting out of the way. Just staying at the same speed they were at in the middle/right lane.

The people that tap their brakes every few seconds confuse me. A lot of times it's pickup drivers who got going to fast and can't take a gradual turn in the highway, but an equal amount of people seem to brake for absolutely no reason.

I'm also confused by the drivers that have wild fluctuations in speed. I'm a cruise control user when traffic is conducive, and I'll get passed, then pass, then get passed again by the same car, over and over again. And my speed never changes 🤷‍♂️

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nothing to do with left lane campers but I'll be driving with cruise control on in the middle lane and slowly catch up to the driver in front of me so I pull into the left lane to pass and the guy who I had been catching up to for a half mile sees me change lanes to pass and speeds up. All while my speed didn't change at all. People apparently don't like to be passed. So I pull back behind him again and start catching up and when he speeds up this time I just floor it and pass.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Half of my arguments with the miss are her reacting to my profanities directed @ left lane dampers, and generally idiotic drivers. nothing worse than the “tap the brakes for no reason every couple seconds” people, or those that literally just do things with 0 rhyme or reason, like get in the left lane @ 60mph as I’m approaching @ 80 without looking to see if someone was coming, and not accelerating or getting out of the way. Just staying at the same speed they were at in the middle/right lane.

there’s a special place in hell for idiotic drivers. I wish driving really was the “privilege” they make it out to be - it’s not. It’s a right that nobody has to earn. Mandatory 5-year evaluations, especially for people 50+ when it comes to their eyesight. 60+ mental acuity/reaction time checks. Driving tests are little more than “can you stop at a stop sign, can you parallel park, and can you do a k-turn.” P much all there is to getting on the road. No written component for whose got the right of way in various circumstances, nothing about left-lane vs right lane, nothing about HOW to merge on a highway... I just can’t stand the idiocy around me everyday, living in Philly.

don’t get me started on the 90+ mph weavers on 95 that often cause accidents up ahead within 5 mins of passing me
This is infuriating, but unfortunately far too common. It's almost like they see you coming and move over intentionally to slow you down. It's just as bad as someone pulling out in front of you on a 2 lane road and then going 5 miles an hour under the speed limit for the next 10 miles in a no passing zone. All they have to do in either of these scenarios is wait maybe 15 seconds and everyone is happy and moving on their way.

But no, they're always in a big damn hurry to slow you down. Drives me crazy.

Just this weekend we were driving through the beautiful mountains of Tennessee into North Carolina and we were behind two pickup trucks that were very obviously going slow so they could look at the pretty leaves. I have no problem with that, but once the line of cars builds up behind you, just use one of the pull off spots and let everyone pass. Did they do this? Nope. Were there signs along the way that "educated" people to do this? Yep.

Did I give them a few courtesy flashes of the headlights after they passed at least 8 of those pull offs to give them a heads up that there were at least 12 cars lined up behind them that they were slowing down with their selfishness? Yep. Did they act rationally and pull off at the next pull off? Nope. The truck directly in front of me came to a complete stop in the middle of the road to express his incredulity at my horrendously offensive act of flashing my headlights at him.

I dropped gear and passed him and moved on down the road. They of course tried to catch up so they could shake their fists at me in disgust, but unfortunately for them, lifted Chevy's with knobby tires don't handle those corners quite as well as the GTI. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for the novel like rant, but dang they pissed me off. And, before anyone asks, I was not tailgating nor was I driving aggressively. All I did was, after numerous miles of them obliviously slowing us down, was flash my lights.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I hate seeing people looking into their lap constantly while driving.

A lot of the people doing dumb shit are on the phone. The speed fluctuations, the lane meandering, the obliviousness about cars approaching from behind.

Young drivers are way more dangerous than the old folks who are puttering around, but the snails are still more annoying. 😋

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
This is infuriating, but unfortunately far too common. It's almost like they see you coming and move over intentionally to slow you down. It's just as bad as someone pulling out in front of you on a 2 lane road and then going 5 miles an hour under the speed limit for the next 10 miles in a no passing zone. All they have to do in either of these scenarios is wait maybe 15 seconds and everyone is happy and moving on their way.

But no, they're always in a big damn hurry to slow you down. Drives me crazy.

Just this weekend we were driving through the beautiful mountains of Tennessee into North Carolina and we were behind two pickup trucks that were very obviously going slow so they could look at the pretty leaves. I have no problem with that, but once the line of cars builds up behind you, just use one of the pull off spots and let everyone pass. Did they do this? Nope. Were there signs along the way that "educated" people to do this? Yep.

Did I give them a few courtesy flashes of the headlights after they passed at least 8 of those pull offs to give them a heads up that there were at least 12 cars lined up behind them that they were slowing down with their selfishness? Yep. Did they act rationally and pull off at the next pull off? Nope. The truck directly in front of me came to a complete stop in the middle of the road to express his incredulity at my horrendously offensive act of flashing my headlights at him.

I dropped gear and passed him and moved on down the road. They of course tried to catch up so they could shake their fists at me in disgust, but unfortunately for them, lifted Chevy's with knobby tires don't handle those corners quite as well as the GTI. :ROFLMAO:

Sorry for the novel like rant, but dang they pissed me off. And, before anyone asks, I was not tailgating nor was I driving aggressively. All I did was, after numerous miles of them obliviously slowing us down, was flash my lights.
Can't stand these people. Blocking the road should be a criminal offense. It's disturbing how many people are willing to just come to a complete stop on the roads these days.

Almost always BroDozers and huge SUVs pulling this shit.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
This thread is now giving me ptsd 😡

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Nothing to do with left lane campers but I'll be driving with cruise control on in the middle lane and slowly catch up to the driver in front of me so I pull into the left lane to pass and the guy who I had been catching up to for a half mile sees me change lanes to pass and speeds up. All while my speed didn't change at all. People apparently don't like to be passed. So I pull back behind him again and start catching up and when he speeds up this time I just floor it and pass.

That's why I never pass at the same velocity that I was steadily creeping up -- so often they'll do exactly what you described. When I'm close enough, and if it's safe to do so, I downshift and stomp to pass. This doesn't give them a chance to react and feel like they have to remind me that they can go faster. Just a smoother experience for all parties involved.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 GTI
That's why I never pass at the same velocity that I was steadily creeping up -- so often they'll do exactly what you described. When I'm close enough, and if it's safe to do so, I downshift and stomp to pass. This doesn't give them a chance to react and feel like they have to remind me that they can go faster. Just a smoother experience for all parties involved.
I too pass quickly. I call it actively passing. It shouldn't be a passive thing where you slowly creep up next to someone, if you are going to pass do it decisively with a purpose, then move back to the right.

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL

My wife is Robert Duvall
My son is Randy Quaid
My daughter is John C. Reilly
The other driver is Michael Rooker

I am Tom Cruise…obviously 😂

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The people that tap their brakes every few seconds confuse me. A lot of times it's pickup drivers who got going to fast and can't take a gradual turn in the highway, but an equal amount of people seem to brake for absolutely no reason.

I'm also confused by the drivers that have wild fluctuations in speed. I'm a cruise control user when traffic is conducive, and I'll get passed, then pass, then get passed again by the same car, over and over again. And my speed never changes 🤷‍♂️

lol in the same way people use the term “mouth-breathers,” I call these types “foot-drivers” hahahahahaha. It also drives me wild. I’m like dude just use CC (I bet they don’t know how)