GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaving the VW ranks...

BurntGauge

AWD > FWD
Well, successfully left VAG family. It was not a hard separation. My MKV GTI was giving me trouble with a few things and I didnt want to put up with it. You guys probably are used to check engine lights and air bag lights and all these other things, but not me. My 2 previous cars were Nissan's so Japanese cars were what I knew. I came to the GTI when gas was like 4 bux. Gas has calmed down and is reasonable now...but still too damn high in my opinion. So I searched for my next car...I was between a few cars. First I liked the 335i, then the STi, then the ISF, then the RS4 (papaya orange is all I have to say). But settled in the end for an '08 Subaru STi. She's got only 15k miles and was in amazing shape. The dealership where I found her was in Bradenton and happened to be a VW dealership. They were super nice guys and gave me an amazing deal on the STi and my GTI. I couldnt pass it up and I made the trade and sale. Walked out feeling great. Future mods for the STi are: tint, sport grille, wheels, overlays for the rear tails, and then we'll tackle the engine part/suspension, and finally stereo. Here are the pics from the ad:

Will update tomorrow hopefully w/new fresh pics.

Moses

Go Kart Champion
congratulations on the new buy. they are truly great cars.

i'm mighty jealous but i think i like my seats better.

utekineir

Banned
Awesome, congrats.

I had one pretty similar to that lined up to buy, but it fell through when the car the guy was going to get was sold out from under him. Instead got a project forester. Check into the whiteline steering rack bushings and kartboy stuff, short money and fairly simple installs for some nice improvements in the feel of things.

TornadoFast09

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MkV GTI
looks really good and i dont usually like those...maybe its the wheels, theyre awesome

Dybz

Banned
Car(s)
'09 GTI
for the price premium you could have upgraded the brakes, tuned the engine, upgraded suspension well past the level of the STI performance. fender flares i'ld imagine you could get... six speed not sure.

as for the test you're talking about, it's faster 0-60 because you don't need an extra shift in there. i find it funny that people talk about it so much since it's really not that big a deal and the STI will own a rex everywhere else... so don't think i'm so close minded to base my comments off of one test.

utekineir

Banned
six speed not sure.

thats the big kicker right there, plus he got an 08, probably for between $25-28k.

6 speed tranny is much more durable than the 5 speed, and its not all that cheap to swap (but plenty possible), let alone the dccd and the like.

If you look into the cost the wrx itself and then adding brembos, the suspension bits and the tranny, upgrading the turbo, etc, may as well get the sti from the start compared to a new wrx. Now sinking that kind of $ into a 7 grand lesbian wagon with an sti engine on the other hand, actually thats still nuts, but fun.

the downside to the new (08+) sti's is the ringland issue kinda an internet boogeyman like our cam follower issues on fsi engines.