GOLFMKV

Lamin-X Tails

BiggiePhat08

Ready to race!

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
I've heard bad things about not getting the precuts lined up properly if you're not familiar with the film and light being seen around the edges. I just did the tails on my passat and got full sheets to make sure all edges were covered properly.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I did the precut smoked tails and definitely wouldn't want any darker:

http://golfmkv.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13331&d=1184795171

It's true that it's hard to get them perfect, but you can only notice the imperfections if you are less than a foot behind the car. And by imperfections I mean the edges. Overall, I think it turned out great for a $40 mod or whatever it was - btw, the precut fogs fit better.

BiggiePhat08

Ready to race!
bump this cause im about to pull the trigger and i would love to see how much edge is still shows with these pre cut ones. Its a lease so i can spray them cause i need to give it back..so yea

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
I did my Passat over the weekend and ended up with NO edges AT ALL because I used bulk sheets, and it was only an $8 difference or something like that. It was also my first time installing it and knew I wouldn't be able to get the sheets on perfectly straight the first time... Using the bulk sheets left me plenty around the edges to trim up afterwards.

Th Stig

Passed Driver's Ed
So is it kinda stretchy or more substantial?

If it's not stretchy - yeah, like that's a real word - it seems like a headlight cover would be a bit*h to install with anywhere close to a decent result.

I did see the X-Pel guy on TeeVee at the Daytona 24hour race telling everyone how gr4eat their yellow film was for the GT cars.

KAA

mose6161

OUT OF COMMISION
Car(s)
MK5 GTI
wow i could never get away with that much dark over my tails. would be pulled over in hours.

BiggiePhat08

Ready to race!
i wish i knew the law about tinting the tails but i really dont i just want to get the one that tints it so i can get like 83% light output because i am sure thats more legal than the 70% output tint

CiDirkona

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK3 TT, MK1 Atlas SE
That's the "Charcoal" color, and Arizona, the light has to be "clearly visible from 500ft" which is up to the interpretation of the officer to enforce -- but is at most a 'fix-it' ticket which you can just get another set of taillights, show them to an officer, and put the other taillights back in.

The material is odd to say the least -- it's stretchable but stretches back slowly. If you heat it it gets VERY pliable depending on the heat. I left it next to my halogen flood lamp to heat it up once and it got so pliable it felt like t-shirt cotton material, but as soon as it cooled down it got stiff again.

When I put it on the corners, I just heated and pulled/stretched it around the corners. As it cooled, it would stay where I left it. I came back the next day and heated/pulled it a little more until there were only tiny wrinkles on the BACKS of the curved edges. All the little bubbles and water marks are evaporating out, which is kinda odd to see change every day.

To me it was worth it to pay the extra couple bucks to make sure I did it right the first time, even if it meant more cutting and stretching to get it right. YMMV.

BiggiePhat08

Ready to race!
I want to get the sheets in bulk i just have no idea what size to get?

I want to make sure I have enough in case I messed them up so i have a second shot at it. Also i have no garage at my college house i guess i can do it outside and i'm guessing rain would be ok for it...?

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
DO NOT get the precut tails!!!!!!!!!!!! they suck azz!!!!!!! i would just get a sheet and do it yourself....