GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Lag shifting from 1st to 2nd

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
2015 6MT

When shifting from 1st to 2nd there is a bit of a hitch / bump / lag. I bought the car used so I didn't know if that was a GTI thing or if the years driving an automatic had degraded my shifting skills. Something similar, but not as bad, happens when starting in 1st, but not at all between any of the other gears. If I ride the clutch a bit it helps, but that isn't doing my clutch any favors.

Any ideas?

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Is this one of the things the dogbone mount insert is supposed to remedy?

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Is this one of the things the dogbone mount insert is supposed to remedy?
The dogbone mount will have an effect on it, but not much. The two easiest things to do are to remove the "assist" spring on the clutch pedal and to remove the restriction in the OEM clutch bleeder block.

Next up would be to replace the shift knob with a heavy weight one and to swap out the rubber bushings in the ends of the shifter cables with metal or delrin ones.

What13

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
The dogbone mount will have an effect on it, but not much. The two easiest things to do are to remove the "assist" spring on the clutch pedal and to remove the restriction in the OEM clutch bleeder block.

Next up would be to replace the shift knob with a heavy weight one and to swap out the rubber bushings in the ends of the shifter cables with metal or delrin ones.

Ah, very good. I've already pulled off the spring and swapped the shift knob for a heavier one from Billetworkz. The clutch bleeder block has been on my list for a while, guess I need to get on that. Thanks!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit

I've done all that and the problem persists. I'd say El bigote Aj is right about the gearing, but it is also the inherent rev hang built in to the ECU.
And no, a SMF doesn't fix it either.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI

Also changing out to stiffer motor mounts helps with this as well. I noticed this going from Stock to 034 to BFI mounts.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
SMF didn't "fix" it but the revs dropping faster certainly helps. With the A/C running I pretty much have to shift as quickly as possible otherwise the revs will drop too much