GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

kw v1 install question!

VWconvert

ozone killer..
Car(s)
06 gti
When installing the kw v1s does the tab at the bottom of the strut need to be completely in the knuckle? I can only seem to get it halfway in. I am using the strut spreader bit and the shock body will not go any lower. The shock is all the way through the knuckle, Im just concerned about the placement of the tab?
Thanks in advance.

MoparShaha

Ready to race!
When installing the kw v1s does the tab at the bottom of the strut need to be completely in the knuckle? I can only seem to get it halfway in. I am using the strut spreader bit and the shock body will not go any lower. The shock is all the way through the knuckle, Im just concerned about the placement of the tab?
Thanks in advance.

I just installed my V1's last month and noticed the same thing. I think it's supposed to stick out like that.

VWconvert

ozone killer..
Car(s)
06 gti
Yeah I though it was weird. The strut seems to bottom out. So you can confirm you installed them in that state and there were no issues? It just seems weird.

bigbadvoodooguru

GO LAKERS
Car(s)
VW Rabbit
Dont know about the tab on ST's but isn't there a hole in the tab? I'm pretty sure I remember there being a bolt that pinches the knuckle back together, and that bolt goes through the hole in the tab. Easy way to check, just reach underneath and feel for a gap between the strut and the knuckle, I believe it sits with no gap against the knuckle.

Double check that your spreader bit is not in too far and keeping the tab from falling in. I did not use the spreader bit because I've read it doesn't open the knuckle enough anyways. Stick it in to open it slightly, then stick a 1/4" drive extension in, careful to not go in too deep and avoid the tab, and turn it 45 degrees. You get a way bigger opening, and that shit justs drops in with no effort.

But again easiest way to check is feel the bottom (there's a hole I remember, I think).

MoparShaha

Ready to race!
I've driven over 1,000 miles so far. For the record, this is my 5th suspension setup I've installed on my GTI, so I do know what I'm doing. Looking at the design of the tab, there's no other way for it to work.

My past suspension setups all had a "hook" at the bottom of the tab that I imagine was created to create a fail safe if the strut slid out of the housing. This hook would grab the bolt that clamps the knuckle onto the stut, preventing the strut from fully coming out of the knuckle. The KW's don't have this fail safe.

I'm not worried about it. I put new bolts in and properly torqued them.