GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

K04 or Bust. Need your opinions, Poll Included.

The fuck should I do?

• Go K04, Hope it fixes the problem.

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Sell K04, Spend money on extras and fixing the issue.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Slowly continue to diagnose the issue and save the K04 for later.

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Alright guys so I'm at a bit of a crossroad... I've been waiting a while dealing with two problems. One is that I'm dealing with a mystery boost leak (or other issue) that being is extremely illusive. There is a possibility that it is the turbo itself that is going bad and/or a loose downpipe or exhaust manifold stud. That brings me to problem (or solution number 2)... I literally have a K04 sitting next to me. It's really hard to look at it everyday and not put it in because I'm chasing problems that seem to have to foreseeable solution. So here's my options in my mind:

Option 1: Buy DV relocate, install kit, coolant, and install the K04. Doing this could fix my problems because the K04 comes with a new wastegate, N75 and gaskets.

Option 2: Sell the K04 and put the money towards E47 tune, GFB +, WOT box, fix license plate holes, motor mounts, dash tray, another charge system test. Basically the things I could get for $800.

Option 3: Slowly continue to attempt to find this problem and fix it.

Help me out guys! (The few that are left of the forums these days)

**Edit** I should probably add that I have already gotten boost leak tested and are completely stumped by these issues and have no idea which way to proceed in diagnosing the issue.

Last edited:

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
I remember your other post. If you are only pushing 10psi at at the top of 3rd gear and timing and fueling are ok I would agree that you probaby have a leak. I would fix the problem before any modding. Introducing new mods means you are introducing the possibility of new problems which can make problem solving even more complex and difficult.

You commented a few times about the DV not releasing air. If that were the case it would affect your responsiveness between gears. DV releases pressure left between turbo and throttle plate so turbo will keep spinning as you shift to the next gear and open throttle again. If it doesn't release pressure it will try apply pressure toward compressor wheel and slow it down (making it less responsive as you move from one gear to another.

Note - I would replace the with Rev D just because to make sure this is fresh, gasket fresh and bolts are secure.

Next I would remove all the tubing from the turbo to the throttle body and do a very careful inspection on the bench. I would also pull the intercooler and pressure test it by itself. I would pull throttle body and intake manifold, the manifold is plactic and they certainly could crack. Inspect everything closely. Often rubber tubing that is constantly exposed to pressure tends to balloon and stretch over time. Area where standard hose clamps have been used are a usual problem as the rubber eventually weakens and balloons against the clamp (which we tend to overtighten) and it acts as a cutting tool over time as the rubber expands. Absolutely get rid of the factory tubing for the intercooler and go with some silicone tubing and use T-clamps

You will find your leak or leaks.

Once you find the leak and you have it apart then throw on the K04 etc.

ghost_03

Ready to race!
It'd be tempting to throw on the k04 and hope it fixes it...but if it doesn't, you might be second guessing whether or not it was installed correctly and/or whether the turbo is functioning properly.

Any details of the car that might help in finding the boost leak? For example a front end collision in the history, or excessive oil burning, or pcv problems, or smoke, or a long period without use, etc. Anything unusual you can think of could be a clue.

gti2slow

Go Kart Champion
Fix the mechanical issues and cosmetic issues first, then go with an established setup (K04 + Pumpgas), and only then if you are happy go crazy with all the other stuff (E47, GFB, WOTBOX, etc.)

MKVDC10562

meow
Car(s)
2012 Golf R
I as well have a k04 sitting around the waiting to be installed but I have other things I need to care of with the car before I just throw it in. Take care of the leak first man, it'll help ease your brain when you know it's fixed and ready for a k04 to be slapped on

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Uh well first of all thanks for the replies, you know I love you guys. Whenever I come-up with a stupid idea you guys always seem to bring me back to reality. You know what the really funny thing is? My new south boost gauge has been acting up lately so I tore the thing out... I found that the zip-tie that is supposed to hold the vacuum/boost line to the fitting on the gauge is literally push maybe 3 inches back off the fitting. So there is literally nothing keeping the line on the fitting and that's why it was pretty much off the fitting. I worm gear clamped it on and not only does the butt dyno feel a difference, the air hissing sound is gone leaving only turbo noise. ALSO I can hear my DV again yay!

I'm gonna go run some logs because I don't trust my boost gauge right now but I think I may have just solved my problems.

**Edit** JK not much change in the logs.

Last edited:

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
I say fix before fun.

golfballer78

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08' R32 dsg
revision d fixed my "underboost" codes before, a month or 2 ago I went DV+ and never looked back. DV+ holds better under load imo.

vegasGTI

Go Kart Champion
Never upgrade before fixing existing problems your just looking for more trouble otherwise

nkresho

suck, squish, bang, blow
Car(s)
2022 Q3
I voted k04 now. When you take it apart, take it all the way apart. Remove all the boost piping, clean, and check thoroughly for leaks. Replace all intercooler orings with new ones and use a new exhaust mani gasket. Do whatever you need to the PCV as well (revamp or new OEM unit) This sort of completes #1 and #3, although the "slowly" is removed from #3.

Goingnowherefast

Go Kart Champion
Small update for you guys, first thanks again to all who voted. I should edit the first post, because the thing that makes this decision complicated is that going K04 could very well fix my issues. I will be putting a new N75 valve in with the new turbo which will obviously have a K04 wastegate and new bolts/gaskets. So if it is an issue with the wastegate, loose hardware, or the turbo itself it will be fixed by going K04.

I also used some spare change to pickup a GFB DV+ which I'm loving so far, but it doesn't seem to be the fix I was looking for.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
I know this is a month old, but I vote k04. If the k03 is bad, how can you tell? Aside from "symptoms"- low boost, smoke etc.

Other than that, you should check the dp and manifold studs. It isn't terribly difficult to do.

I say k04 because if it is a hardware problem (turbo, dp, manifold) it Should be corrected when you Properly install the new turbo.

If it's a turbo related sensor, you'll change it out, since you mentioned you have new ones.

Aside from that, I whole-heartedly agree that in the process of swapping, completely remove boost piping, clean and inspect.
Even your IC. Check your TB, manifold. Confirm that everything from the TOP to the head is solid.

*edit.
Upon rereading after posting... Idk man. I can see selling the k04 and getting other supporting mods (mounts, tune, etc) and work on correcting the boost issue. But, if you sell and the k03 ends up being the problem...

k04 and stuff.

Strieg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI BPY
Small update for you guys, first thanks again to all who voted. I should edit the first post, because the thing that makes this decision complicated is that going K04 could very well fix my issues. I will be putting a new N75 valve in with the new turbo which will obviously have a K04 wastegate and new bolts/gaskets. So if it is an issue with the wastegate, loose hardware, or the turbo itself it will be fixed by going K04.

I also used some spare change to pickup a GFB DV+ which I'm loving so far, but it doesn't seem to be the fix I was looking for.

Whew. Just left the mk7 forum. There is a lot of stupid flying around there. And questions that have been answered for years! Saw you on there though.
How's your car doing? Have you decided on what your going to do?

k04 and stuff.