GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just paid a buck a gallon more for 93. Anybody else thinking about going back to Map 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
i could afford $4/gallon 93 on my MK6 GTI when I was delivering pizzas in college lol, will never understand adults bring so shy of fuel prices.
Because individuals don't want to admit that George W. Bush was the sitting president last time national average gas prices were over $4/gallon in the USA. Which is the highest average fuel price in USA history.

Or that the national average fuel price went from $1.12/gallon to $4.11/gallon over the course of just 7 years while in office. Oddly enough, representing the largest percent increase in fuel prices under a sitting president. Ever.

Nor does anyone want to address the fact that somehow, seemingly miraculously, the average price of fuel crashed from July 2008 to January 2009 from $4.11/gallon to $1.75/gallon juuust prior to GWB leaving office.

Almost like ignoring history is easier than doing some basic research and math.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Because individuals don't want to admit that George W. Bush was the sitting president last time national average gas prices were over $4/gallon in the USA. Which is the highest average fuel price in USA history.

Or that the national average fuel price went from $1.12/gallon to $4.11/gallon over the course of just 7 years while in office. Oddly enough, representing the largest percent increase in fuel prices under a sitting president. Ever.

Nor does anyone want to address the fact that somehow, seemingly miraculously, the average price of fuel crashed from July 2008 to January 2009 from $4.11/gallon to $1.75/gallon juuust prior to GWB leaving office.

Almost like ignoring history is easier than doing some basic research and math.
That is very misleading. I did not vote for Bush but there were extreme circumstances that affected gas prices when he was president.

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...gher-when-george-w-bush-president/8572328002/

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
I think it is because people live outside their means. I know from past experience that being in debt and living paycheck to paycheck is setting yourself up for misery.
I am just frugal. Owe nothing to nobody. Even stock it’s no slug. Being able to click a button and be able to go back to stock was one of the criteria for modding. I have another vehicle in that mod rabbit hole.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That is very misleading. I did not vote for Bush but there were extreme circumstances that affected gas prices when he was president.

https://www.statesman.com/story/new...gher-when-george-w-bush-president/8572328002/

Some bits from your own link.

As with most things, the price of gasoline is determined not by the president, but rather by the state of the economy and the balance of supply and demand.

Then in March 2020, the pandemic hit and oil demand plummeted.

"Because Americans stayed home, the price of oil plummeted into negative territory for the first time ever," De Haan said, referring to the price of crude oil futures contracts. "Demand for gasoline was down 60%, and along with it, the price of oil crashed."

That led to job cuts in the oil industry and a decline in production. But demand recovered quickly because of optimism surrounding the COVID-19 vaccine, De Haan said, and producers haven’t been able to ramp back up as quickly, leading to another spike in prices that continues today.

Tl;dr: Gas prices have nothing to do with the president. Not everything needs to be politicized.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Some bits from your own link.

Tl;dr: Gas prices have nothing to do with the president. Not everything needs to be politicized.
I agree and wasn't the one who politicized it. I posted the link to show arob157 the very items you quoted. Thanks for confirming my point.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The thing about watching nickels is that there is more than one way to skin a cat #metaphormashup

Instead of saving 3 dollars or however much per tank just cut something else out instead. Skip one Starbucks visit or bottled water for a week, it isn't hard to find a few dollars.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Today at the pump. 92 for me.

Attachments

• 3ED1CB97-75D3-42BB-8D63-3604E41C1FE4.jpeg
    3ED1CB97-75D3-42BB-8D63-3604E41C1FE4.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 06B51879-B354-4835-91D7-A80E141327E3.jpeg
    06B51879-B354-4835-91D7-A80E141327E3.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 34

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
ok so basically when you think your car hits dead 0, even on the range, there is still about 1 gallon or roughly 20miles in there left. I think this makes sense as I have hit that 0range indicator before and still felt I has some gas since I never hit the magic 13.2

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Easier to fill up when it cost 50$ vs 90$ some people drive a lot for work and the cost is real. Most jobs you cannot write off gas as a tax either unless you work 1099 ect

the difference in cost between 87 and 93 is not 90% lol. That’s like saying if regular is 2.50 premium is 4.75.

the real delta, at least in south Jersey/Philly, is closer to 60/70 cents. So like 3.30 reg, 3.90 premium.

that equates to $6-7 more per fillup every 10 gallons pumped. Our cars, having 13.2gallon tanks with a 2-gallon “reserve” (so really 11.2 tank), fit this schema perfectly.

so no - it is not $50 reg vs $90 premium. It’s $33 vs $40.

make it $1 between reg and prem and you’re looking at a $10 increase on a full tank compared to regular.

if you can’t afford that in a GTI don’t drive a GTI

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
the difference in cost between 87 and 93 is not 90% lol. That’s like saying if regular is 2.50 premium is 4.75.

the real delta, at least in south Jersey/Philly, is closer to 60/70 cents. So like 3.30 reg, 3.90 premium.

that equates to $6-7 more per fillup every 10 gallons pumped. Our cars, having 13.2gallon tanks with a 2-gallon “reserve” (so really 11.2 tank), fit this schema perfectly.

so no - it is not $50 reg vs $90 premium. It’s $33 vs $40.

make it $1 between reg and prem and you’re looking at a $10 increase on a full tank compared to regular.

if you can’t afford that in a GTI don’t drive a GTI

Exaggerating to try to prove your point, name a more iconic due.

You're spot on with your assessment, the delta between the national average is $0.615.

And I'll echo the final statement. If a $6 difference every fill-up matters to you, you're in the wrong car.

arob157

Drag Racing Champion

I can only imagine what agenda alignment of an article with the title "Were gas prices higher when GWB was president?" But, to entertain civil discourse, I read it.

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Also yes.

Nothing misleading about the data I posted. Sited from government sources. Even that partisan puff piece of an article acknowledges it. "We’re not sure where or when the photos of gas signs were taken , but they do accurately reflect the gasoline prices that were in effect at the time."

This article is an opinion piece written trying to fluff up why gas prices rose 400%+ while GWB was in office. Got it. They can't even validate where a photo originated. Nor do they even have the journalistic integrity to use government sources for data.

GTFO with that make believe reality.

I agree and wasn't the one who politicized it. I posted the link to show arob157 the very items you quoted. Thanks for confirming my point.

That is and was my point this whole time there dude. I posted the data and associated it with a red president & a blue president.

Status
Not open for further replies.