GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just bought a MK5

BecauseTheInternet

Congrats! I am really close to getting my own 09 GTI with 56k miles. The hype is real. I took it to a mechanic and it apparently was full of old fault codes. The mechanic scared me when he said there was something wrong but I don't think these fault codes mean anything...:iono:

Zach L

VR junkie
You need to take it to a mechanic that can scan codes specific for VW vehicles. There are universal codes that every car brand uses, but there are also codes that are very specific for only VW/Audi. These codes will likely tell you what is wrong, but you need a special computer scanner that understands these codes or a Ross-Tech VCDS "vag-com" cable. If you own a VW or Audi, spend $200 for a vag-com cable. Look for used ones in the classifieds. It will save you money in the long term instead of having to take your car a mechanic every time you see a little light.

on.your.left

Ready to race!
You need to take it to a mechanic that can scan codes specific for VW vehicles. There are universal codes that every car brand uses, but there are also codes that are very specific for only VW/Audi. These codes will likely tell you what is wrong, but you need a special computer scanner that understands these codes or a Ross-Tech VCDS "vag-com" cable. If you own a VW or Audi, spend $200 for a vag-com cable. Look for used ones in the classifieds. It will save you money in the long term instead of having to take your car a mechanic every time you see a little light.

^This! I love my Ross-Tech vag-com cable! Knowing what's going on with your car is a huge advantage when trying to diagnose issues. Plus, you can do some minor tweak your car with some basic settings (use fogs as DRLs, roll windows up/down with key fob, etc.).

Cheers,
M.

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
In my opinion you just purchased one of the most practical and fun cars on the road today. I have had mine since 2008 and do not plan on selling it ever, it is that much fun. Congratulations!

To get the most "fun" out of your car and avoid the usual stuff that folks contend with (problems) I would recommend you do at least the following at this time......

If you have the FSI motor absolutely follow the advice given about checking the cam follower. Since your car is stock, just open the hood and look at the engine cover, if it says FSI then you have a cam follower (under fuel pump) to worry about.

• Keep the oil topped and checked as these cars do consume oil normally.
  • My favorite oil is Rotella T-6 (I just order off Amazon)
  • Change the oil and oil filter every 5K
  • As the car is new to you I would freshen things up
New coils
New sparkplugs
Fuel filter
PCV valve
Have a look a vacuum tubing, good chance developing cracks at this mileage/age
Replace intake filter​

Assuming you have a garage and a few tools all of these things can be done by even a first time Do-it-yourselfer. There is so much info on the forum or just ask one of us. Also if you have the TFSI motor and not the FSI motor then you won't have to worry about the cam follower.