GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Joining the Air Force

GermanInfluence

Ready to race!
Anyone here in the A.F? I have taken the ASVAP's. Scored high enough to do anything I want.

I told the recruiter the jobs I wanted to look into are:

1. Public Affairs
2. Radio and TV
3. Para-Legal
4. Finance
5-10. Medical

Anyway, the recruiter told me that it's very hard to guarantee a job and that I might have to wait a while before I was able to join. Also, I guess the A.F. is in a recruiting freeze in my area right now so, I have to wait for that.

Anyway, what are your military experiences? Pros? Cons? Would you do it again? Etc etc.

Hah, your recruiter sounds like like a hoe-bag. You can guarantee ANY job you want, you'll just have to wait for a slot to open for it. If you want to go ASAP, tell them you'll take an open career field (IE "Open General" or "Open Admin" etc) and you'll be out the door in no time. The only reason he would wait to send you is because he's met his quota for the month/quarter and wants to use you as part of the next month/quarter's quota.

More to follow...
By the way, I've been in for a bit over 3 years now, and i regret it very much.

-FF

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
Hah, your recruiter sounds like like a hoe-bag. You can guarantee ANY job you want, you'll just have to wait for a slot to open for it. If you want to go ASAP, tell them you'll take an open career field (IE "Open General" or "Open Admin" etc) and you'll be out the door in no time. The only reason he would wait to send you is because he's met his quota for the month/quarter and wants to use you as part of the next month/quarter's quota.

More to follow...
By the way, I've been in for a bit over 3 years now, and i regret it very much.

-FF

I have to agree. First of all, DO NOT go open general. I have been in 4 years and though i do like the AF, it isnt the shiny golden ball like it looks from the outside. It will always have it's pros and cons. But you make it what it is. I have deployed many times and will so in the future. DO NOT GO security Forces unless you WANT to be a cop. Open general will snag you straight into SF. I will be cross training out of it. I am currently in it and i am also a Network Admin for my squadron. I willBut to each their own. sorry for the rant. but do not make the mistakes that many have done just cause you want to leave. good things come to those who wait.

Lets look at the jobs he told you:
1. Desk job, YAWN!! Boring
2. Broadcasting is new to me, you'll basically be a communications troop, nothing special.
3. Para-legal fills out paperwork all day long, deals with lots of screw ups.
4.Finance people have it easy, also have been told it's very unfulfilling
5-10(?). A great way to meet girls, or deal with sick people. Most likely, you'll be in the clinic your first 3-4 years taking vitals and doing grunt work.

The pro's about the air force are:
same money as everyone else (per rank obviously)
it's for smarter people, not idiots (although there are plenty)
not as difficult, or stressful
lots of downtime, if you're into that kind of thing.
basic training and technical training are easy (although its changed a bit since i went through)
travel

Cons:
getting stuck somewhere that sucks for long periods of time
dealing with stupid shit (any branch of the military)
money hardly seems worth the effort you put into work, and constant problems
if you're single, you'll be living in a 10x10 room for the first 3 years, with terrible living conditions and forced to eat at a chow hall. dont let the recruiter jazz up the 'quality of life' bit too much, it still sucks for a long while.

The military isnt for everyone. If you are smart, and self-motivated, dont join. The military used to be about people making something better for themselves, but because of the economy and living conditions, its forced many more people to join for less than kosher reasons. It's only getting worse. Putting up with other peoples crap is one of the biggest concerns. If you dont like fixing others mistakes, then dont bother. If you dont like 12 hour days (for the same pay)...again, dont bother. If you want to travel and see lots of cool places, go into a flyer position, such as loadmaster, crew chief, aerial gunner, or even something critically manned (which offer bonus'). Unless you're super fit and have some outstanding ability, dont even bother wasting your time for SERE, TACP, PJ, or Combat Controller. These SpecOp jobs have immense qualifications.

Sounds like your recruiter wants you to have a boring job. If you go into open general, you'll either be a cop (one of the worst jobs, as the general concensus of the AF thinks) or Life Support (what I am). I clean helmets, mess with NVGs from time to time, and basically inspect anything that the aircrew uses. Kinda dumb really.

Sorry so wordy, but if i can fill you in better than a recruiter, who's getting paid EXTRA for pushing people into the Air Force, then thats what I'll do.

I suggest, for someone who scores 90+ on the asvab like i did, go work at UPS for better pay, same benefits, and better schedule, while going to college (which they pay for as well), and then think about going commissioned (OTS, being an officer).

-FF

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
Lets look at the jobs he told you:
1. Desk job, YAWN!! Boring
2. Broadcasting is new to me, you'll basically be a communications troop, nothing special.
3. Para-legal fills out paperwork all day long, deals with lots of screw ups.
4.Finance people have it easy, also have been told it's very unfulfilling
5-10(?). A great way to meet girls, or deal with sick people. Most likely, you'll be in the clinic your first 3-4 years taking vitals and doing grunt work.

The pro's about the air force are:
same money as everyone else (per rank obviously)
it's for smarter people, not idiots (although there are plenty)
not as difficult, or stressful
lots of downtime, if you're into that kind of thing.
basic training and technical training are easy (although its changed a bit since i went through)
travel

Cons:
getting stuck somewhere that sucks for long periods of time
dealing with stupid shit (any branch of the military)
money hardly seems worth the effort you put into work, and constant problems
if you're single, you'll be living in a 10x10 room for the first 3 years, with terrible living conditions and forced to eat at a chow hall. dont let the recruiter jazz up the 'quality of life' bit too much, it still sucks for a long while.

The military isnt for everyone. If you are smart, and self-motivated, dont join. The military used to be about people making something better for themselves, but because of the economy and living conditions, its forced many more people to join for less than kosher reasons. It's only getting worse. Putting up with other peoples crap is one of the biggest concerns. If you dont like fixing others mistakes, then dont bother. If you dont like 12 hour days (for the same pay)...again, dont bother. If you want to travel and see lots of cool places, go into a flyer position, such as loadmaster, crew chief, aerial gunner, or even something critically manned (which offer bonus'). Unless you're super fit and have some outstanding ability, dont even bother wasting your time for SERE, TACP, PJ, or Combat Controller. These SpecOp jobs have immense qualifications.

Sounds like your recruiter wants you to have a boring job. If you go into open general, you'll either be a cop (one of the worst jobs, as the general concensus of the AF thinks) or Life Support (what I am). I clean helmets, mess with NVGs from time to time, and basically inspect anything that the aircrew uses. Kinda dumb really.

Sorry so wordy, but if i can fill you in better than a recruiter, who's getting paid EXTRA for pushing people into the Air Force, then thats what I'll do.

I suggest, for someone who scores 90+ on the asvab like i did, go work at UPS for better pay, same benefits, and better schedule, while going to college (which they pay for as well), and then think about going commissioned (OTS, being an officer).

-FF

QFT!!! :thumbsup:

i scored a 93 overall and i hate waking up every day to come into a place where i have to listen to people who are borderline Forrest Gump retarded.

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
I have to agree. First of all, DO NOT go open general. I have been in 4 years and though i do like the AF, it isnt the shiny golden ball like it looks from the outside. It will always have it's pros and cons. But you make it what it is. I have deployed many times and will so in the future. DO NOT GO security Forces unless you WANT to be a cop. Open general will snag you straight into SF. I will be cross training out of it. I am currently in it and i am also a Network Admin for my squadron. I willBut to each their own. sorry for the rant. but do not make the mistakes that many have done just cause you want to leave. good things come to those who wait.

Sounds like he's on his stuff with this. I'm not entirely sure how signing up is for the enlisted side, since I got my commission. But I've loved every min of my experience. It is what you make it I guess.:iono: Just like Wolfpack said don't rush into things and get shafted just because you want to leave asap. Friend of mine did that trying to guarantee a job and now he's stationed at Thule AB Greenland:frown: just my .02

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
Sounds like he's on his stuff with this. I'm not entirely sure how signing up is for the enlisted side, since I got my commission. But I've loved every min of my experience. It is what you make it I guess.:iono: Just like Wolfpack said don't rush into things and get shafted just because you want to leave asap. Friend of mine did that trying to guarantee a job and now he's stationed at Thule AB Greenland:frown: just my .02

hey sir, where did you end up at base wise? i remember you saying you were leaving. im putting in my OTS package as we speak. Going to try to hit comm or medical and be 2Lt

Furthermore, I spent 2 years in Japan, on an tiny island only 58 miles across at it's widest point. The most beautiful place ive ever seen, and some of the coolest cars I have ever driven. Still, i wanted to leave so badly because of the people I worked with, and the sh!t that I took from people.

I also deployed to Afghanistan, and worked with combat rescue. I've flown in over 6 different aircraft, have shot at stuff with a minigun and .50cal, and have been thrown into the water from a 15 foot hover. Flying is fun. The desert is fun. The tax-free money is FUN!

Now I am in socal, in the middle of the Mojave. Pros: its a test base, easy work. Also, I am only an hour from LA and 3 from Vegas, and can track my car every day because I live 5 minutes from Willow Springs. Cons: It's the desert. It's a 45 minute ride into work down a long long straight road. And it gets boring.

EDIT: I finished my CCAF, and my Bachelors, applied for AECP and OTS, but they wouldnt accept me. I am currently trying to Palace Chase (go guard) but have been denied once, applying again in 30 more days. Going E to O isnt as easy as it sounds. I have a solid record, firewall 5's, army achievement medal, and they are still saying no.
-FF

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI
hey sir, where did you end up at? im putting in my OTS package as we speak. Going to try to hit comm or medical and be 2Lt
As of right now I'm at Buckley AFB in CO. Not too many complaints (Im SF as you could tell)

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
Furthermore, I spent 2 years in Japan, on an tiny island only 58 miles across at it's widest point. The most beautiful place ive ever seen, and some of the coolest cars I have ever driven. Still, i wanted to leave so badly because of the people I worked with, and the sh!t that I took from people.

I also deployed to Afghanistan, and worked with combat rescue. I've flown in over 6 different aircraft, have shot at stuff with a minigun and .50cal, and have been thrown into the water from a 15 foot hover. Flying is fun. The desert is fun. The tax-free money is FUN!

Now I am in socal, in the middle of the Mojave. Pros: its a test base, easy work. Also, I am only an hour from LA and 3 from Vegas, and can track my car every day because I live 5 minutes from Willow Springs. Cons: It's the desert. It's a 45 minute ride into work down a long long straight road. And it gets boring.

-FF
and thats what you should expect german influence.... you will leave. unless you are dead set on this fact, you should not join. the AF isnt bubble gum drops and lolli pops like everyone says it is. I have worked hand and hand with USMC, Army and Navy on missions outside the wire and smash and grabs. you must be prepared for the fact that the world you know is going to change, may not be drastic, but enough to change your disposition on things that were automatic. (going out, doing what YOU want and discipline.)

Horus USAF

shhh Im thinkin......
Car(s)
06 GTI

EDIT: I finished my CCAF, and my Bachelors, applied for AECP and OTS, but they wouldnt accept me. I am currently trying to Palace Chase (go guard) but have been denied once, applying again in 30 more days. Going E to O isnt as easy as it sounds. I have a solid record, firewall 5's, army achievement medal, and they are still saying no.
-FF

What's your AFSC??

We threadjacked hardcore, sorry OP!

Used to be 1T0X1, now a 1P051.

Horus, whats your duty title as a commissioned SF officer? The only commissioned SF people i knew of were commanders, but what do they have you all doing?

-FF

wolfpack_1.8T

Banned
We threadjacked hardcore, sorry OP!

Horus, whats your duty title as a commissioned SF officer? The only commissioned SF people i knew of were commanders, but what do they have you all doing?

-FF

Operations officer, Logistics officer, battle Staff. there is a ton my man. Captain is when they start to take command of squadron, small ones that is. deployments and such