GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is the polish mechanic feeding me some bologna?

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
The background: The other day while merging onto the highway in my stock 2008 (FSI) GTI a charge pipe blew off. I found this odd on a stock car but correlated it with the fact that the timing belt was recently done and perhaps the shop put stress on the pipe causing the connection to become weak.

More background info: I have built several cars and race a time attack mini cooper, my GTI is a stock daily driver to keep me out of trouble :wink: so I have not spent much time around the mechanics of it, but understand cars fairly well.

The situation:
I took it back to the shop where I had the timing belt done to get them to re-attach the charge pipe since it was my lunch hour at work and needed a working car. A wild Polish mechanic appears. He takes me under the car to show me the issue...

The problem:
The rubber 90* pipe coming off the cold side of the compressor has popped off. He is able to put it back on by hand and explains to me in a thick Polish accent that VW uses some sort of das german clamping system which is not similar to most cars. He tells me that the connection is not good because he could re attach the pipe by hand and in order to fix it properly he would have to order an entire new rubber hose.
I asked him why he could not replace the clamp if the hose is not tight, he told me there is no clamp to replace only the hose itself.

He sent me off with the hose put back on by hand, and told me it was only a temp fix. He later calls me and tells me not only should I replace the rubber pipe, but also the metal pipe it was connected to.

Since the rubber pipe was placed back on I have had no issues with it popping off again even under full load.

Help me VW guys. Am I getting the run-around by the Polish man?

Life is too busy for me to crawl under the car and find out what is going on until later on in the month. So I am at the mercy of the Polish man.

I thought you would be able to replace the charge pipe clamp like a normal car, but apparently not.

How does the charge piping work on these babies? :iono:

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
Well the top part of the 90* has an o-ring and is held into place by a clip, the bottom part is held on by some sort of metal band. If you can get that band off I see no reason why you couldn't replace it with a regular hose clamp.

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
I should clarify the area that it popped off was the top part, the area connected to the actual intercooler piping.

What would the proper fix be in this situation? Ordering a new o-ring and clip?

20GLI08

Put em on the glass
Car(s)
GLI
You have me confused

Cumulonimbus

Ready to race!
The bottom part being the end of the rubber 90* pipe connected to the turbo itself, the top part being the other end of the 90* rubber pipe connected to the metal intercooler piping.

The top part is the part which came off, hope that made more sense ha

Get a new metal clip. That's what holds it onto the turbo. Ihe connections suck but the clip is suppose to to make the connection. If it still leaks change the o ring, if it pops off get a used pipe from the classified forum.