GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Interesting trip to the dealer.

usfbull19

An Asian driving German
Car(s)
GTI
So my car throws a cel and I bring it to Lokey vw in Clearwater, FL. I've got an 06 cpo gti, so any work is usually covered 100%. Anyway, car gets dropped off thurs and am told it will take till tomorrow to see exactly whats wrong, but the cel is cause of a misfire. Friday morn, I am told its an injector that's gone bad, and it's going to be fixed under cpo warranty, car will be ready at 5 pm. Fast forward to 5 pm, and I'm there, work is done, and they are putting the manifold back on. Around 7, the tech comes out and tells me its been so long cause he dropped the banjo bolt, and can't find it. I call my gf and get a ride home, and hope to have the car the next am. Slightly annoying but it happens. The next day, I call 3 times during the am, and no one has any idea as to how long until my car may or may not be ready. I get a call at 5 saying they found the bolt and the car is ready to go. Unfortunately, I'm at work, so I can't get it till the next day. Unknown to me, my brother needed the car I was borrowing, and called the dealer. They told him that the car was ready, so he went and picked it up. The thing is no one called me to release the car to someone other than myself, and I didn't call them to say that someone else was picking it up. So my question to you is, what would you say to the service manager? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

VancouverGTI

Go Kart Champion
That's a toughie. Ultimately, if your car had been stolen, the dealership would be on the hook.

With that said, your dealer was probably just trying to walk a fine line between being cool and easy to deal with and overly bureaucratic. I guess they figured it was cool because he was family, and wouldn't know your car was there unless he was supposed to know.

I wouldn't lose my shit over it, but I would let him know that it probably wasn't appropriate.

Bodhi

Go Kart Champion
But if the dealer gave your brother a hard time with picking the vehicle, you'd still be posting up a thread complaining for a different reason.

usfbull19

An Asian driving German
Car(s)
GTI
A simple courtesy call, or perhaps if I told them he was going to pick it up would be one thing. He just went in, said my last name, and gave him the keys. I'd appreciate knowing they took the time to get a release for the car.

navyslideby

Big Turbo Vroom
the fact is, does it bother you that your brother had your car???? should they have told him no in your mind????? or are you just complaining for the sake of complaining

usfbull19

An Asian driving German
Car(s)
GTI
It came as a surprise. To be honest, I didn't tell my brother to go and get it. And in general, he doesn't drive my car, esp without me being there. So why would you give my car to someone I don't allow to drive it at all?

Vins25

Dump Valve 7000RPM
Car(s)
Golf 5 GTI
I say they let it slide because they gave u a hard time before .. Wat they did was wrong , but i guess they did u a service by giving ur brother the car

lightningjack

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
09 GTI
A simple courtesy call, or perhaps if I told them he was going to pick it up would be one thing. He just went in, said my last name, and gave him the keys. I'd appreciate knowing they took the time to get a release for the car.

^Definitely this!! My brother is 18, looks 22. The kid drives using the force. No way would I want him behind the wheel of my car. A simple call would be in order. Covers their ass, and isn't going to do anything but make you comfortable with them. Only person who might get pissed is your bro, but who cares (no offense, I just mean in regards to this transaction)?

GTi R Enigma

Profitier...
Car(s)
CW 07 GTi 5dr HB
I'd be more upset with your bro then the dealer. Did you tell your brother it was ok? did he call to let you know?? I say pass on the dealer, they dont know that you dont let your brother drive your car. UNLESS you told them that.

MkVme

Ready to race!
I had my GF pick my car up once, didnt call the dealer ( KUHN in S Tampa) and they gave it to her. Kinda was surprised too.... but yeah thats how they roll i guess. Dont let enemies know your car is at the dealer...thats for sure.

BTW, OP, since your in the same area....NEVER go to KUHN. They dick me around all the time, I switched to Brandon VW.