GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intake question

marzlam791

Ready to race!
I know this was brought up a 100 times before i searched and got nothing maybe i searched wrong :iono: if so sorry point me the right way plz. whats the best intake? i've been hearing a crowd of people saying all you need is 2.5" which is the k&n intake system. and seems to be the cheapest .. but i went to a local autozone to order it and there is no 08 intake and the manager said he will call k&n Monday. Then there is VF engineering and evoms and neuspeed. I think evoms goes from a 3" and necks down to a 2.5" and is a 2 piece intake. And neuspeed is a two piece intake. and i don't know what VF's does. so what is the best intake? and is it worth spending a little more on one or the other

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
The problem is, like multiple parts on the GTI, it's not so simple to declare one vendor as having the best anything. Way too many factors at play.

A lot of it will depend on what you want - responsiveness vs overall power gains, keeping your stock engine cover, price, future mod plans, etc.

So what you're likely to get is the respective owners of each brand intake writing the name of it in capital letters. :lol:
I have the AEM intake and although I like it a lot, I won't assert it to be the best. Haven't ridden in or tried out any other intakes and the availability of dyno plots from each manufacturer is limited at best.

leviathan18

Ready to race!
marzlam go to axis motoring (redgti) ivan will take care of you and show the intakes and everything if you have the tsi i think there is no intake for your car yet

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I went with Neuspeed because it was relatively cheap (namotorsports) and it gets the job done. Evoms and VF are nice and come with a heat shield for the filter, but for the amount of performance gain vs cheaper products and the money you spend its not really worth it... Evomx/VF are for those who have the extra money and want to know they have "the best" imo, but my guess is there isn't much difference in performance. That kind of money is better spent on a chip, but thats just my 2 cents.

Anything is better than stock really, you'll probably see nearly the same performance gains with a K&N dropin vs. a FOS, whomever you go with, only difference is that cool sucking noise :thumbsup: . At the end of the day, its just a pipe with a higher CFM filter on the end, more marginally cooler air never hurt an engine thats for sure.

marzlam791

Ready to race!
Thats true i just hear people say you want more sucktion saying there is no need to go with a 3" when in the end it all necks down to a 2.5".. Anyone know whats going on with K&n by the way they dont have any intakes in stock? i have the fsi mine is a early 08 model.

Jig

Flow Motion
modshack definitely.

07Noside

Banned
if your engine cover says fsi and not tsi then any aftermaket intake from model years 06-08 fsi will work. and yea I like my EvoMs better then my aem..

TOE_FAST

www.TonyScavo.com
Car(s)
2007 MKV Fahrenheit
I still dont get where you guys think Evoms is "the best" ...K&N has a heat shield too, whats the effin difference? besides price? Also K&N comes with a bigger cone = more air.

BTW - I have the K&N and i noticed better throttle response on the lower end, butt dyno measurements there but it did help performance slightly.

I guess im no different than the Evoms guys saying their intake is the best -in that case you might as well pick the one you think looks the best. I personally think the Evoms looks like shit.

GTI_JMD

I <3 boost!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Just ordered the EVOMS intake with the EVOMS engine cover today! :thumbup:

I choose that one and not the Neuspeed P-Flo because I wanted to retain an engine cover that is not Carbon Fiber but also OEM looking.

crabpot

Awesomesauce
You could have used the EVOMS engine cover with the neuspeed intake, FYI.

I've had both Carbonio and Neuspeed, I don't think there is much of a difference either way in terms of performance. The Neuspeed is certainly louder as any filter on a stick tends to be, but I was getting sick of having to tear of my engine cover when I was having issues with my PCV.

leviathan18

Ready to race!
I still dont get where you guys think Evoms is "the best" ...K&N has a heat shield too, whats the effin difference? besides price? Also K&N comes with a bigger cone = more air.

BTW - I have the K&N and i noticed better throttle response on the lower end, butt dyno measurements there but it did help performance slightly.

I guess im no different than the Evoms guys saying their intake is the best -in that case you might as well pick the one you think looks the best. I personally think the Evoms looks like shit.

velocity stack and 6" cone

GTI_JMD

I <3 boost!
Car(s)
2008 GTI
You could have used the EVOMS engine cover with the neuspeed intake, FYI.

I've had both Carbonio and Neuspeed, I don't think there is much of a difference either way in terms of performance. The Neuspeed is certainly louder as any filter on a stick tends to be, but I was getting sick of having to tear of my engine cover when I was having issues with my PCV.

I ordered it from namotorsports and said that engine cover could only be used with the EVOMS and the AEM CAI? Oh well, I wanted the EVOMS anyways.