GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

In process: Alibaba GTI build

bcastine1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've got an alibaba CNTA sitting in the garage to go in my 2015 GTI. The only hiccup I see is that my car has secondary air injection and this CNTA doesn't appear to be drilled for it. I really need to retain SAI (f'ing NH emissions). Is it possible to drill out for SAI or am i shit out of luck and gonna need a different head?

V4310W

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I've got an alibaba CNTA sitting in the garage to go in my 2015 GTI. The only hiccup I see is that my car has secondary air injection and this CNTA doesn't appear to be drilled for it. I really need to retain SAI (f'ing NH emissions). Is it possible to drill out for SAI or am i shit out of luck and gonna need a different head?
I bought one of these heads that doesn’t have the holes already opened for the SAI and thought the same thing. I had another idea, to drill out some small holes in the kombi valve instead, giving the air a place to escape and theoretically keeping the airflow sensor and kombi valve happy in the ecu. I bought a used kombi valve and made a little mockup out of some plastic sheeting and drilled the small holes in the plastic to simulate my idea. I did 3 cold starts with it setup and didn’t get any unhappiness from the car. I haven’t tested it with the holes through the kombi valve yet though. It’s a little ghetto but could maintain the system both visually and in the eyes of the ecu

Attachments

• IMG_1997.jpeg
    IMG_1997.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 17

bryanviper

Hey guys,
I have a 2016 Golf R, I may need to get the head redone with valve seals and all that stuff but i was thinking if I could find a good deal on a head from Aliexpress then just put some better quality valves/seals etc and just drop it in i would have very little downtime.

Any suggestions for a reliable seller on Aliexpress that sells the top end only?

Thanks

bcastine1

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought one of these heads that doesn’t have the holes already opened for the SAI and thought the same thing. I had another idea, to drill out some small holes in the kombi valve instead, giving the air a place to escape and theoretically keeping the airflow sensor and kombi valve happy in the ecu. I bought a used kombi valve and made a little mockup out of some plastic sheeting and drilled the small holes in the plastic to simulate my idea. I did 3 cold starts with it setup and didn’t get any unhappiness from the car. I haven’t tested it with the holes through the kombi valve yet though. It’s a little ghetto but could maintain the system both visually and in the eyes of the ecu
Nice, sounds like a great idea. I mainly just need to avoid getting a CEL, while having readiness. I'm curious how this works out for you. The hurdle would be the O2 sensor seeing the rich condition from the cold start not leaning out when SAI is functioning.
When I got the engine i wrongly assumed the CNTA was SAI ready. All VW/audi literature claims CNTA is SAI, but that must be for North America only. Which brings it back to the original poster of this thread. He claims his early build GTI was CNTA, so i'd assume it was SAI, did he just delete SAI and live with the light or tune it out? And how hard would it be to tune it out, no golf R's or S3's came with SAI, so i'd imagine in readiness it just says "unsupported". Thats ideally what i want my ECU to say lol.

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Nice, sounds like a great idea. I mainly just need to avoid getting a CEL, while having readiness. I'm curious how this works out for you. The hurdle would be the O2 sensor seeing the rich condition from the cold start not leaning out when SAI is functioning.
When I got the engine i wrongly assumed the CNTA was SAI ready. All VW/audi literature claims CNTA is SAI, but that must be for North America only. Which brings it back to the original poster of this thread. He claims his early build GTI was CNTA, so i'd assume it was SAI, did he just delete SAI and live with the light or tune it out? And how hard would it be to tune it out, no golf R's or S3's came with SAI, so i'd imagine in readiness it just says "unsupported". Thats ideally what i want my ECU to say lol.

I never bothered with the issue because I live in south Texas and in a county where emission checks are not required lol.

But I’d have to double check on the SAI thing. Can you show me a picture of where you’re looking at on the head?

I’m pretty sure my car has it, as I can hear the thing on cold starts. But I never had an issue or had a code thrown, even with the new engine so I’m curious what you’re going through.

bcastine1

Passed Driver's Ed
I never bothered with the issue because I live in south Texas and in a county where emission checks are not required lol.

But I’d have to double check on the SAI thing. Can you show me a picture of where you’re looking at on the head?

I’m pretty sure my car has it, as I can hear the thing on cold starts. But I never had an issue or had a code thrown, even with the new engine so I’m curious what you’re going through.
Also you will know if you have SAI if you have that extra hose that attaches to the air filter box, or if you have an aftermarket intake you need an extra little filter for it. It is my understanding that all north american GTI's have SAI.

Mksleven

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 gti
Hard to see with the intake box in the way, but it looks to be there. Everything that was on the old engine was swapped over to the new one..

I can take a closer look with the intake box removed later ~

Attachments

• IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2275.jpeg
    IMG_2275.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Hard to see with the intake box in the way, but it looks to be there. Everything that was on the old engine was swapped over to the new one..

I can take a closer look with the intake box removed later ~
That little filter next to the main air filter is the SAI filter.

V4310W

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I assumed the same thing regarding the o2 sensor but I didn’t get any codes when I tested it. Avoiding a cel and having readiness set is my main concern too. I’ll try to get it rigged up so I can drive around with it for a couple days and report back.