GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Impressions with Novitech Tuning (Kendall/Miami FL)

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Hey bros, I'm Ryan.

To be fair, this is a report of my happenings and impressions for the time being. This may become a beware, or a complaint posting should my request listed below go unanswered by them. However, as I stated, I will attempt to keep my current opinions out for now, and purely lay out some details about my transactions with Ivan at Novitech tuning. I will post facebook messages leading up to the experience, and then the happenings of the day of.

So to put everything into perspective, I have been test fitting intercooler upgrades on my MKVI GTI for the past few months. My most recent purchase was the Forge Twintercooler. Being as several members have had success with this product, and it has been guaranteed to fit under my front bumper, unlike BSH's cores as I figured out the hard way, without modification.

So what the hell, I ordered it in, and try to install myself. Core goes on, and everything is in motion. I attempt to cut and match up the hoses for the unit, and can't get it right for the life of me. I fail my first attempt at it, and proceed to try again with new hoses... another fail. Last chance, as I pick up another set of hoses, I swore I'd let someone with experience do the job this time. So, bypassing some of the local shops around me who have left a bad taste in my mouth, or I just franky don't want to bring my car there if not necessary, I get in contact with Ivan at Novitech Tuning. The shop and Ivan both came highly recommended, and although the shop is over an hour away from me assuming there's no traffic, I decided to give them a shot anyway. With my hectic schedule, it took me a while to get the opportunity to venture out to Kendall from Fort Lauderdale. A couple months actually.

My communication with Ivan began in April,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18 Novitech Tuning ----------
Hi Ryan, we have done a few Twintercoolers on MK5's and MK6's and the hoses can be a bit tricky to modify in order to achieve anything close to a perfect fit. Assuming the FMIC is already installed and all we have to do is the hoses you would be looking at $80 the most.

April 18 Ryan -----------
Yup, core is on, bolted, and just needs to hoses fitted after the bumper is removed. If $80 is the case, I'll see you guys early Friday. What are your hours? I have the day off, but have an obligation around 3pm in Boca, so if we can make it happen, I would be most appreciative. Not to mention I'll be spreading the word about the shop around the inner circle here in broward to those looking to migrate.

April 18 Novitech Tuning --------
We would normally charge a bit more since the bumper needs to be removed but I understand you are going on a mission so just trying to give you a hand there. We open at 8am so as long as you are at the shop by 10am or 11am we should have plenty of time...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so $80 to trim the hoses and install them... no sweat. Well this past Wednesday rolls around, and we finally get an appointment set for that morning at 9am. I get there a little late due to horrific traffic and weather, calling ahead to make sure they aren't waiting around.

I get there, and the shop seems quiet, but there's a few cars in back, and in the lot. Nevertheless, I give Ivan my keys, and let him get started.

Here's where things go poopie.

About 35mins later, he comes out, and tells me "Hey listen, I know I quoted you $80 but the front bumper is going to have to come off, which is going to take us 2 hours of time. I'm gonna have to charge you $160 plus tax, for the two hours...."

In my mind I'm thinking.. 'Wait a minute, didn't you state you've had experience with this kit, and didn't you state that the front bumper would have to be removed clear back in April? You should have known full well what was to be expected of this job, right? But you quoted me $80, and then suddenly it's going to cost me double?'

Well I wasn't going to waste a trip, and I agreed to the $160 as I didn't want to be a dick my first time there, and cause a scene... Alright, so now we wasted a half a tank of gas pretty much to get the job done at the same price the local shops quoted me... great! Thanks...

So a couple hours go by, and I'm sitting there patiently waiting. No problem really. Finally they finish up, and I get the car back. I had to run home and get some things done, and battling through lunch time traffic at around noon in Miami is almost as bad as rush hour. So I get home, and begin looking for the stock intercooler hoses, as I expected them to either be in my bag, or in my trunk... Hah... No sir.

I draft a message back to Ivan... after he thanked me for my business. (Yeah... right) The following is more facebook message exchanges between Ivan and myself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday Ryan ---------
Thanks Ivan. One problem though. When I got home, I realized the stock intercooler hoses were not in my trunk. I guess you guys might've left them aside. Can I please have those back, thanks!

Yesterday Novitech Tuning
Hi Ryan, most of the people don't want/need the OEM parts back and since you didn't request them nobody put them back in the trunk. I will look out back to see if they are still around and save them for you.

Yesterday Ryan ---------
Yeah the only reason I want them to be there is for returning it to stock later. Would appreciate it.
I assume the brass hose clamps were used in the install to hold the forge hoses in place so I should have those right? Gonna have to get an idea of what to purchase, should you not be able to find my parts.

Yesterday Novitech Tuning
I have them... :eek:)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So heads up for any future Novitech customers, REQUEST YOUR STOCK PARTS BACK OR THEY WILL NOT GIVE THEM TO YOU.

The invoice, or the work order never asked, or stated that stock parts or replaced parts would not be returned unless requested... So how was I to know that I needed to ask for them? In fact, any shop I've ever had work done at, has always given me back the parts that were not used. This was further from the case, as a few mounting pieces that went unused are probably sitting in the garbage can at the shop.

So I write back in reply...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday Ryan ---------
Ok, any chance you could ship them to me? I have no idea when I'll have the time to come back down. Obviously, since it took over a few months to get time to pull off yesterday, it might take just as long again, if not longer. I'd really really appreciate it.

Yesterday Novitech Tuning ----------
I will save them here... I'm sure at some point of time we will see each other again here or at an event or you might have one of your buddies drive down this area.

Yesterday Ryan ---------
Possible, but I could easily pay you the $5 or so, and have the peace of mind.

No offense or anything to you guys. Just I've sent out a few pairs of these hoses off my MKV, and it isn't much to ship'em. I will paypal you the money if need be. More-over, I spent a little too much money than I had wished yesterday, between gas, mileage, and cost of the work done. I'm not holding any of that against you, but I'm normally accustomed to receiving any and all parts OEM, damaged, etc from Indie shops I use... which for most reasons isn't often. I wasn't exactly asked about the parts, nor did I think to request them since I figured they'd be placed in my trunk somewhere.

I apologize for not thinking about it at the time, but would really not like to be placed in a tight spot, should I want to sell the car over night, part it out, and not be able to part the intercooler due to not having the hoses. I tend to think about the What-ifs. So, if it's not too much trouble, I'd sincerely appreciate the hoses being shipped to my address that I left on file with you guys. I'm sure I'll visit the shop again, I'm just not entirely sure for what, and I don't go to events due to my busy schedule, so that part is out the window. I think besides me going all the way back down there, which is about 1hr-1hr45 min drive for me, almost like a mini-road trip, and then drive back just to grab some 8ounce/ea hoses. I'd just much rather prefer the shipping option, and not have to worry about it.

I appreciate your understanding. Let me know the paypal address I can submit shipping costs to. Thanks!

-------------
I've received no reply since Wednesday evening.

So suffice to say, I'm not too impressed myself, but you're all free to draw your own conclusions. I don't want to bash them, and I'm certainly not going to begin doing that... not just yet.

TLDR: I sort of feel baited and switched on by them, and Y U NO WANT TO SHIP ME MY HOSES, BRAH?

Last edited:

DT EXP

Chewing Gum & Kicking Azz
Car(s)
2009 TiG
Get your hoses yet?

U.G.MKV

Stealth mode
Car(s)
2007 mkv
Figures. Not the first time I've heard of problems with Novitech. I standing next to a good friend when Ivan clearly told him he could flash his mkVI without removing the ecu. When I questioned that he told me He could do it. We all know that's bs.

thygreyt

Racekor.
Car(s)
jetta mkv
i have dealt with Ivan and david a bunch of times.

i dont want to come and sound like a "lover" but i do like them. IMO, they do run one of the most honests shops on So flo.

IN MY EXPERIENCE with them, BOTH have answered emails: david and Ivan. If they wrote you $80, and tried to charge you 160, then you should have told them. Likely what happened was that david answered the email, and ivan charged you.

on the hoses: they are always throwing away oem parts because no one really wants them.

overall, my impression: they sometimes are a bit pricier than others, but they do good work. and if/when mis-communication happens, just let them know.

firstorbit84

Ready to race!
Dude. If you're in ft lauderdale, you should check out German Car Depot (formerly V Depot, formerly VW Depot)

Plus, I'm sure more people would complain about getting dirty car parts in their trunk than not getting them back. You should've checked before you left the shop, if they are that important.

inovillo

This thread was brought to my attention by a couple of customers and I had to clarify a couple of facts.
You contacted Novitech Tuning at first because XXXXX shop by your area were ripoffs and you were unhappy with their service. After 2-3 months of trying to bring the car in and canceling appointments you make it. I was under the impression that the front bumper cover was going to be removed reason why I gave you the initial $80 quote to modify the piping and installing it right after. A few minutes after the vehicle was brought into the shop and we tried to make it happen without removing the front bumper I came into the office and told you that it would be an additional $80... Without questioning anything or showing any signs of disagreement you accepted and told me to go ahead and continue. Would you have been unsatisfied about that charge that was the time to say so and we could have worked something out. Long story short, the job was completed, we even took the extra time to properly align the bumper that was a bit off and if I remember correctly also added a couple T-bolt clamps for additional security of the hoses.
Yes, you are absolutely right... the OEM hoses were not placed inside the car when the job was done. Around 90% of our customers do not need old OEM parts back and at the end of the day or week we have to end up throwing parts away due to lack of room for storage. In my opinion, if these 2 hoses meant so much to you, maybe you could have asked if they were placed back in the car or not and we would have avoid all of this nonsense. But hey, you are also human and forgot to ask or decided to assume instead... no problem.
I was contacted with your concern a day later or so and told you I would personally look for them and save them for you. After knowing you had no intentions and/or plans of coming back to this area due to the distance I asked you to please give me a chance until I have to ship something else out and I would then send you the hoses back. It took a few days longer than expected? Yes it did, but at the end you received them... right? Did I charge you for the $12 shipping via UPS? No I didn't because I thought that would be way too cheap on our behalf and why not take care of it due to the small delay on sending the hoses back. I mean, you were not waiting for an ECU in order to be able to drive the car that needed a rush shipping either.
And now, to top it off you complaint about taxes?
I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this but I'm done here, I tried my best to take care of your demands but to some people is never good enough. I wish you the best Ryan and good luck with your car.

Regards,

Ivan N.

firstorbit84

Ready to race!
*slow clap*

Bravo. OP was complaining about petty stuff the whole time. He found a good shop and has now hurt his relationship with them, over a couple hoses he doesn't even need.

This is Ryans face

Not sure if...
Car(s)
2011 GTI CCTA
Since I haven't been giving this post as much attention as my other post on Golfmk6 about the same topic/issue, let me cross post this for you....

-----------------------------------------
In response to Ivan

1) Original estimate, as shown in my Facebook copy-pasta stated you knew the bumper needed to be removed, the quote was $80. I can screen cap that, so there's nothing lost in translation. You then needed to be reminded of what it was that I was there for. You then proceeded to take my car to the garage, and then came back out, reiterating that the bumper needed to be removed... in the back of my head I'm thinking "No fucking kidding, bro." However, I try to be as cool and collected as possible, and if I see fit to bring it up if it irks me, I will. I wasn't going to say jack about it till you decided to put up hesitation in returning my hoses.

2) Shop costs are YOUR costs (which you also use as a tax break every year, so taxing customers for something you receive a tax break on isn't something you should want to display, considering it's illegal), if you added anything, you should've informed me, in writing, but it wasn't until I came upon my receipt that I noticed something was fishy, and did a little more research. I can link you to a site detailing Florida laws on the subject matter. If you did add anything, I did not see it upon my inspection of your work, when I installed my Rev. D valve. Thus leading me to think you're just feeding me bullshit. (stated this after I realized yesterday, after reviewing my receipt from the shop that I was charged taxes on a labor only job. Regardless of if it's illegal, it's unethical to do so in the state of Florida unless the shop adds a part not provided by the customer in order to complete a job.)

3) I went ALL the way down to Novitech after taking off work which took over in an hour in shitty weather. I agreed to the $160+ charges because I didn't want this to be a waste of time on my end.

4) The careful consideration, and handling you took to make sure my bumper lined up correctly with the body form maybe lasted a day?

Here's how it sits now, as I have ordered new headlight surrounds to try and rectify this issue... once again, on my own.

So don't go holding that over my head like you did me some great favor or anything.

5) The hoses you finally shipped back to me close to a month later were sent to the wrong address. An address of a known convicted felon. The label was addressed incorrectly, not delivered incorrectly, just so there's no blame on UPS. Thankfully him and I are on good terms, and he hand delivered the package to my doorstep. Had we not have been, I wouldn't have seen those again. Nevertheless, to keep from being placed in a similar situation in the future, you should probably make it routine to ask if the customer would like their old/damaged/broken/stock/replaced parts back after you perform a service. Not only is it good business practice, but it's simply considerate and polite to do so.

6) As far as making appointments and canceling them, I don't think any appointment was ever set in stone to the degree that we had a time and date set until the very moment I was able to come down there. I tried to make several appointments, in which you stated "Sorry, we're short staffed, lets try again another time." Yeah, all my fault that it took so long, right? I can screen cap that too, if you'd like.

And for good measure...