GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Important Spring question!!

PracticalMagicX

The Bomb Diggity Yo!
Car(s)
GTI
I have eibach sportlines and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to just put those on the stock shocks or should i buy konis or something, id prefer keeping stock but i dont wanna hurt my baby =]

Alex/A.W.E.

Ready to race!
I have eibach sportlines and i was wondering if it would be a good idea to just put those on the stock shocks or should i buy konis or something, id prefer keeping stock but i dont wanna hurt my baby =]

I always recommend installing a good set of shock when lower a car with springs.

Installing lowering springs on OE shocks will shorten the lifespan of the shocks since they are not designed to effectively control body movements at that lower ride height. It will feel fine for awhile, but over time the ride and performance will suffer.

A good set of shocks, like Bilstein Sports, will give your suspension a firm, controlled feel without being too harsh. Also, they are designed with a shorter shock body to accommodate lowering springs an still be able to function properly.

Another thing to keep in mind, in order to install springs you need to uninstall your shocks and vice versa. Replacing both at the same time saves you time and money spent on labor charges.

Have you considered Bilstein shocks? They'd be a great upgrade for your car. Here's a link to the Bilstein section on our site so you can check them out: http://www.awe-tuning.com/pages/sha...ion.cfm&PPT=Suspension&IL=BilsteinSportShocks

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

lawn mower

Banned
all that being said....

i had h&r supersports on my stock shocks for about 2 years and 45,000 miles or so and my shocks are still fine.

Alex/A.W.E.

Ready to race!
I can understand the desire to keep the stock shocks in place. Bilstein's aren't exactly inexpensive and sometimes our mod budgets aren't as large as we'd like.

Take the following as food for thought from a friend.

Shocks, even with stock springs, are items whose performance slowly degrades over time. Because of this you might not know they aren't performing as well as they used to until they are completely worn out or blown.

Also shocks designed for a lowering spring, like the Bilsteins, has the proper valving for the shorter range of travel a lowered car experiences.

Simmsled

Parking Garage > Tree
Car(s)
its not special.

Sportlines on stock dampers is not a good idea.

Do it right, do it once. Compromising will only make you wish you swapped the dampers in the first place. You will get more of a performance/ride/handling improvement from dampers than springs alone anyways. If you got Bilsteins or Konis, they would be the last set of dampers you'd ever have to buy for the car. Get a ride in someones mkv with proper dampers and loweing springs installed. I could see the arguement for stock dampers on a pro kit, but not on Sportlines. Think hard man, its truely worth doing it the right way.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
Car(s)
VW GTI MKVI
I too did my springs and kept the stock shocks... on Pro Kit Eibachs I changed out the shocks in the same year... 2 installs = more $$ than if I just did it all at once. Learn from other's mistakes, save your cash and install both now!

mkvpower

Passed Driver's Ed
ok now listen.

The eibach sportline AND Koni Yellow is the most amazing street suspension setup I ever driven on a mkV. Ultra fast lane change, comfy and dynamic without bounce...Amazing ! THe car should have come like this from the factory. You will find the perfect adjustment for you and you'll like it for sure.

Using Sportline with stock shocks IS A BIG WASTE OF FUN AND MONEY. ( you will destroy them fast these are not gentle spring , these a really stiff progressive ROAD RACE springs)

Tried koni and H&R coils, bilstein and HR sports, stock setup...

You'll love even more your car if you match them with Koni, better than with Bilstein. Bilstein are more nervous and you have enought dynamic and control with the koni/sportline.

alexgc

Turbochargers rock.
Car(s)
2016 Golf R

I made the mistake of putting H&R sports on stock shocks, never experienced as bad ride quality as I did with that setup. It almost seemed like the shocks weren't dampening the spring motion. Paid extra to have a set of Bilstein Sports installed, which I should have done in the first place.

Do it right the first time.