GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I'm tired of feeling like an idiot...

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
It finally got to me today...and I have a confession to make: I don't understand this whole rim/wheel sizing, etc... especially the 35et, 40et, whatever business...

5x112 i kinda get... its our bolt pattern, but what exactly is the difference between that and say a 5x110... do the last three numbers stand for something or are they just a designation? I think it is safe to assume the 5 is for 5 lugs... but what about the 112?

Also... I am an auditory learner and since I cant hear you... a picture is your next best bet to get me to understand it...

I am a pretty smart guy, but I guess its just never been explained to me in a way that got through...

HELP ME UNDERSTAND! lol

FIJIParisi

GO FINS!
Car(s)
'07 BMP GTI 6MT
good link... but what does it mean?

for instance.. what about my denvers... what is the offset there?

if I wanted a big lip on my wheels, what kind of offset would I be looking at?

most importantly - how the f*ck can people tell if you are going to rub just by looking at an offset?

These are all theoretical... I just really wanna learn...

RedRabidRabbit

I want FREE HAM!!
good link... but what does it mean?

for instance.. what about my denvers... what is the offset there?

if I wanted a big lip on my wheels, what kind of offset would I be looking at?

most importantly - how the f*ck can people tell if you are going to rub just by looking at an offset?

These are all theoretical... I just really wanna learn...

Denvers I believe are a 7.5" wide wheel, with a +51 offset.

If this wheel had a zero offset, which means the mounting pad is exactly in the center (width wise) the wheel would come out 51mm from where it does now. You would gain 51mm clearance on the inside, you're simply shifting the wheel outwards.

If for example, you had an 8" wheel with a +51 offset, you're exactly the same, but 1/2" (12mm) wider. You're going to have 6mm more width on the inside, and outside. If for example, the wheel was 8" wide but a +45, that entire 12mm of wheel would go to the outside, compared to the Denver. The inside would sit exactly the same.

http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

There is no set formula for an offset leading to a big lip. A smaller offset tends to help because you have more space on the outer part of the wheel, but the design of the wheel helps too.

In layman's terms, the lower the offset, the further to the inside the mounting pad is in relation to the width of the wheel, and vice versa. The wheels you see on a big lifted truck that seem to have about an 8" dish are a very low offset.