GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Idle vibration problems. Clutch?

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi all, lets just begin by saying my 2004 Golf V doesn't have the most known engine around these parts - EU-ordinary 1.6 102hp gasoline engine, code BGU. 5spd manual transmission.

The trouble is that at idle revs the engine irregularly vibrates, which can be felt throught the seat, wheel and pedals. The vibrations are a bunch of weaker jolts with some stronger jolts thrown in. There is some engine shake on ignition and shutoff.

Had the engine checked at a couple of reputable garages. To exclude some possibilities:
- The ignition system is good, no ignition troubles.
- The fuel system is good. The injectors have been ultrasonic cleaned and work fine.
- No starting problems whatsoever.
- No engine speed fluctuation problems whatsoever.
- There is no MAF on this engine, so no trouble from there.
- Throttle valve cleaned.

As I currently see it, the vibrations are clutch and/or flywheel related. This engine has a single mass flywheel, FYI.

* The clutch engages quite high and usually when pulling away from a standstill, the engagement is accopanied by a slight jolt as the friction surfaces meet.
* When in 2nd gear and of course no handbrake on, the car can be manually pushed back and forth a couple of ft / 30cm. This should mean there is a large slack somewhere?
* There is a slight clatter sound, which dissapears when the clutch is pressed down. The clatter is similar to this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNBvnHlUkmY
* When I let off the gas, as car starts to decelerate, it jolts forward 3 times. No matter what gear or speed.
* When changing gears and not letting off the clutch really-really slow, it jolts one time.
* When rev-matching downshifts and hitting the revs a little bit too high AND letting off the clutch fast, it clunks and jolts several times. When hitting downshift revs low, there is no clunking.
* I recently had the transmission mount replaced, whereas the engine and dogbone mount were deemed to be in OK condition. I think the problem I'm having has caused the tranny mount to wear out previously.

Are my only options having the gearbox taken out or is it possible to inspect for any damage through the starter mounting hole?

Thanks! Really need some insight on this. Also posted on vwvortex but not much help there. Hope there are more mechanically-inclined people here :)

addam

Hi siLc,

Have you solved the issue? Was it the clutch?
I have exactly the same issue with BGU engine and spent days trying to find the cause - no success though...

Thx,

siLc

Passed Driver's Ed
Wasn't the clutch. Swapped out the ignition transformer and spark plug leads - didn't help much. Had a fault code pop up over the EGR valve (P0401), cleaned it and cleared the code but it didn't help. Might as well replace the EGR valve completely but being a rather expensive part (~120€), I'm reluctant to do it on a whim.