GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I saw a VW rabbit today....

bigdyno

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
It was a dark blue five door. According to the service writer they will only be five door and the 2.5 five. (here in the land of touques and beavers) I am currently driving a Jetta service loaner with a 2.5 and it goes ok, but I miss my turbo. Can't say I like the DSG though....

I think the five door with a 2.5 will be good for what it is, if you need four doors, you probably don't need 200hp. Although I am sure there will be plenty of contention with this statement. Who needs 200hp, besides me of course, but I think VW is preventing out selling themselves.(the same basic product with two badges)

Does anyone know where the rabbits are being made? Is the US going to get a diesel yet, or will they have to wait for about a year and a half too?

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
The Rabbits are made in Germany but the engine is made Mexico.

I don't think NA will get the Diesel anytime soon, once they solve the low sulphur diesel issue. People say to wait until 2008.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
It was a dark blue five door. According to the service writer they will only be five door and the 2.5 five. (here in the land of touques and beavers) I am currently driving a Jetta service loaner with a 2.5 and it goes ok, but I miss my turbo. Can't say I like the DSG though....
If you're refering to the Jetta only the GLI/GTI get DSG. The others have a plain automatic.

bigdyno

Finnigan said:
If you're refering to the Jetta only the GLI/GTI get DSG. The others have a plain automatic.
As far as I know this is not a GLI, it has cloth interior and a more basic sound system. It does, however, have a dsg. It is the same transmission as the one I tested in a gti, also not very favourable.

Again, here in the land of touques and beavers option packages may be different.....

nomios

Touring Car Champion
Even in Canada only the Jetta GLI is available with a DSG transmission . The 2.5 comes with a crapy Regular old automatic "tiptronic" transmission. Otherwise known as an automatic that functions like a manual. That is much different and much "suckier" than the DSG transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdyno

nomios said:
Even in Canada only the Jetta GLI is available with a DSG transmission . The 2.5 comes with a crapy Regular old automatic "tiptronic" transmission. Otherwise known as an automatic that functions like a manual. That is much different and much "suckier" than the DSG transmission.

X10 on the suck, that's for sure....

Last edited by a moderator:

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
Its a pitty they won't offer the DSG with the Rabbit. But I wonder whether to get the 5spd manual or 6 speed tiptronic. Damn 5spd manual!! :thumbdown:

bigdyno

LordNikon said:
Its a pitty they won't offer the DSG with the Rabbit. But I wonder whether to get the 5spd manual or 6 speed tiptronic. Damn 5spd manual!! :thumbdown:

I would recommend the Manual, the auto is very not good, grammar butchering aside. I think the 2.5 is a peppy little engine and a manual would suit it nicely. But I am biased toward the old slush box, especially now that I have the extra gear in my GTI.

LordNikon

Autocross Champion
bigdyno said:
I would recommend the Manual, the auto is very not good, grammar butchering aside. I think the 2.5 is a peppy little engine and a manual would suit it nicely. But I am biased toward the old slush box, especially now that I have the extra gear in my GTI.

Yeah I figured the same and I thought with 5spd, 5th gear is basically OD, so you only have 4 gears to play with excluding reverse :laugh:
However there are some cases, like the E39 M5 I've driven, 5th gear is redundant during normal highway driving. Theres so much torque anyway. I would just use 6th... of course on the track that would be different.

Finnegan

The Drunken Irishman
LordNikon said:
Yeah I figured the same and I thought with 5spd, 5th gear is basically OD, so you only have 4 gears to play with excluding reverse :laugh:
However there are some cases, like the E39 M5 I've driven, 5th gear is redundant during normal highway driving. Theres so much torque anyway. I would just use 6th... of course on the track that would be different.
Canon ftw~

:biggrin: :thumbsup: :tongue: