GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I don't get the Stealership mentality.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
My autobahn gti depreciated about 10k in one year. It's fully loaded with 2 years of warranty left. I wanted to inquire about a 2010 base golf and they wouldn't budge on their price of 14,500. In what universe is a 3 year old base golf 14,500? No warranty, accident on record. 12k miles. A brand new 2012 golf goes for only 3k more which is roughly 30 bucks more a month. My beautiful fully loaded car depreciates 10k and this base golf depreciates 3k in 3 years?? I wanted to knock this dumbass out so badly. There's just no logic behind that ridiculous price. I know they bought that car for about 10k. I wanted to trade my car in and get the golf. He would have made money on the deal but they are greedy.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
They're just trying to make as much money as possible.

Buy privately, if you're not even concerned about CPO or warranty. Could probably get one for much cheaper, less miles, no accident, and a responsible driver. No sense in getting into a pissing contest with a dealer about trade in value etc. They need/want to make money, and this normally happens at your expense. You can then sell the GTI privately, and make as much as KBB states should be appropriate.

McQueen77

Banned
depreciation is %, nothing more. if your car is worth $50k, itll depreciate a shitload compared to a $20k car. Your Autobahn is worth a lot more than the other car, thus, more money. I feel silly explaining this. Also, yes, they want to make as much money as possible.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
It is a business, plain and simple. They exist to make money, not be fair and trade fair market value for fair market value. Especially if the vehicle they are selling is a brand they represent, they will most always be charging a premium on their used vehicles, and may or may not pay good money for yours.

The more a vehicle costs, the faster it depreciates. This is especially true of vehicles that are basically the same. A fully loaded Golf may cost upwards of 10K more new, but in a few years, all those extra options like automatic transmissions, sunroofs, tech packages etc etc do little sometimes to increase resale value, rather it is exterior shape, mileage etc that influences most buyers.

I agree, dealerships can be very frustrating.. But in the same breath so can customers who want the world for their vehicle, and want a bargain on theirs. At the end of the day it matters little what a dealership paid for a vehicle and this should not be factored in to your bargaining unless the dealer is also your uncle. All this does in the end if they have more gross is perhaps to show you more on your trade if you have one. If a dealership has too much tied into a vehicle it can be difficult for them to move.

There are lots of tips on the interwebz on dealing with dealers.. Kindness goes a long way. If someone is a jerk, what is their motivating factor to do anything for that person?? Especially if there is little gross to be made. Salespeople typically do not make money on the trade, only the sale, so their is not much incentive one way or another, unless they have to take out of the gross to pad your trade value.

Why not just sell your vehicle privately? should be an easy sale if there is nothing wrong with it. If it is not an easy sale, or you have been trying with no success and now want to trade it in - you are asking the dealership to take the burden of stocking a depreciating asset, another reason why they pay less than current retail market values..

The one thing I never understood is why so many people get their feathers so ruffled expecting a dealership to heavily discount their vehicles.. I mean think about it, the vehicle has what maybe 5 to 10% gross profit AT MOST! And people expect to buy at invoice all the time?? Tell me the last time you walked up to a cashier and asked for a discount on your eggo waffles and creamed corn. And those items have over 50% markup any day of the week!

Anyways, I think I am digressing lol

ps - why you want to dump the Autobahn?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
payments are overwhelming. i just dont see why anyone would buy the car for 14,500 when a new one with warranty and no accident is 3k more. thats what bugs me. for 14,500 i expect to get an mkv gti. heck i sold my dodge caliber with custom leather seats for 16k and it was much nicer than the base golf and only had like 5k miles and was 5 months old.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
Nothing abnormal here just the basic rule of investing and business, buy low and sell high.

In your case you tried to sell high and buy low in one transaction at a dealer. They may let you win on one side of the deal but not both ends.

The best thing to do is sell your car separately and try to get the best price.

Then again separately try to buy that golf for the low price you're seeking.

Rockchops

Go Kart Champion
:iono: any dealer who would sell on true market value would be out of business in no time. If you need to get a trade in, sell your car to carmax if you really want (don't expect private sale money though), then go to the dealer with cash in hand. I bet they'll be willing to put you in that seat for a bit less than 14k.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
inc55 - PM me if you need help looking or negotiating, etc.. I will do for you gratis. (see sig link)

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
Why would you want to downgrade to a Golf from a GTI? I know another guy in town that did that. Is it reallly logical to do so??

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
The autobahn has dropped like a rock in value...I've learned never again to buy a loaded vw.