GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

how to tune my mkv

ibrqr406

hey guys, first post, and im a complete noob.

If i want to customize my gti for not too much money, what advice would you guys give me?

Like if i buy a downpipe? do i have to buy anything else with it? or can i just install that?

any advice for starters would be appreciated!!!

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
Best performance bang for your buck would be a tune. Then downpipe, then stage 2 tune. Intake will add some fun noises, but not a significant change in power. You should be able to run just the downpipe without a tune, but you will probably throw a check engine light unless you have an O2 spacer (and maybe even with one).

zrickety

The Fixer
Car(s)
VW GTI
Stage 1 of your choice, then maybe a subframe mount and suspension mods (sway bars, upgraded bushings, springs).

jerm5

69=dinner for 2
Suspension work can get pricey. Though its my first recommendation to start with the tires and suspension first it is quite expensive.

Going against that when I had my mkv, the first thing I did was an intake followed by a tune. You literally cannot get better bang for your buck. Its like buying a new car.

ROH ECHT

K04 PLAY
Car(s)
2007 MKV GTI
To keep the modding modest....get it tuned...add a performance drop in filter....and a rear ARB. You can lower it when it needs new shocks to cut down on the labor related to adding springs.

Regarding the DP...it doesn't add much in the way of power as the oem diameter is 2-3/8". Even though it has two Cat's it will perform well with a stage 1 tune. If sound is a priority...work on a catback or resonator delete and then do the DP later if your mods progress.

Wheelspin

can I ask a question on the arb, I live in a city with some pretty stuffed up roads after our earth quake a couple of years back, and will be stuffed for a few more yet..
I still want it to have a comfortable ride with the arb ?

CKGTI

Ready to race!
to tune your gti you need one of these

get a friend to hold it up to the exhaust and hold the button down.

in the driver seat you should rev the engine up

when the needle hits 50 write down the rpm and how far down you pressed the gas pedal.

when you want to go fast, move the pedal to the same spot you found earlier but dont go over the rpm you wrote down

hope this helps :)

LilRaverBoi

Optometrist Prime
WTF is an ARB?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
can I ask a question on the arb, I live in a city with some pretty stuffed up roads after our earth quake a couple of years back, and will be stuffed for a few more yet..
I still want it to have a comfortable ride with the arb ?

A more aggressive rear sway bar will decrease the ride comfort quite a bit. If the road are really that bad you probably won't get much chance to use a more aggressive bar anyway. If you do get one, make sure it is adjustable. Soft setting for daily driving (closer to stock) and more aggressive (for track or when you go for a drive and escape the bad roads in your area)

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
To keep the modding modest....get it tuned...add a performance drop in filter.....

ROH ECHT is 100% right - buy a tune and a performance filter - the absolute best money you can spend on this car. You said you wanted to keep it to......

" customize my gti for not too much money "

This is about 600 but you get a huge gain in performance and it is easy to do. To get that kid of gain again with so little labor involved gets much more expensive.