GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How RELIABLE is a GTI?

USCTrojan619

I Bleed CARDINAL and GOLD
Prospective Dubber. . .wanting to know just how reliable a GTI would be. I've heard some of my fellow truckers that I was wanting to trade-in my Frontier for a GTI, and a few of them talked about reliability issues.

I just got finished reading a thread on A/C systems crapping out and was surprised at how many were saying there's went bad at such low mileage. My wife's '97 Honda Civic w/ 80K had the A/C go out but only because she ran over a huge wooden crate on the freeway.

I did notice that all the respondents were '06 owners, and from what I understand, that was the first year of the new GTI. I'm hoping to get one of the last few 2008s left.

Should I be worried?

tranceporter

F**K YOU CAM FOLLOWERS
Car(s)
'08 BMP GTI
bought my car nov '07 brand new and i'm currently at 25k miles. the only problem i've had was with my ipod adapter. they replaced it under warranty. i love my gti :biggrin:

Raddicted

Perfectly insane
You have to consider the fact that on a car forum you will always get a somewhat 'unfair' ratio of complaints and issues reported. People are more likely to come on and complain or seek help with a problem than they are to come on and just say how their car is working perfectly.

Plus you are also only getting a very small segment of the overall GTI ownership on here, so take that into account also.

From what I have heard the MkV seems to be a much more reliable and problem free car than previous generations, and it looks like VW have really worked hard to address their quality issues. Which they needed to badly because perceived quality, or there lack off, was killing them.

I wouldn't let it stop you from owning a GTI if that is what you really want to drive.

Msteadman

Go Kart Champion
Not to sound like a d*ck, but like in your other thread I'd say to search - it has been widely discussed. There's actually a document out there with common issues which IMO is worth reading.

Overall VW has greatly improved reliability with the MKV GTI. There are still some common issues (eg. AC [seems to be confined to 2006's], DV, PCV, intake flapper motor [I believe that's what it's called] and the infamous rattles) but there hasn't been anything major which I've heard of.

Also keep in mind that you're getting somewhat of a tainted view concerning reliability on any forum. Most members aren't going to create a thread saying something along the lines of my GTI is running perfectly today. They're only going to report in if there's an issue and consequently want help/advice.

Edit: Raddicted got to most of the points before me. :thumbsup:

USCTrojan619

Well, yes, again, I did search. That's what made me want to make this post in the first place.

What I was getting at was, almost all makers have their first year models suck donkey balls (my Frontier is no exception, which is why I waited for the '06 year). Since I'm hoping to get an '08, I was thinking that reliability of that year would be a lot better than the '06s, which is mostly where the problems I've read in my searches have come from.

So, I guess I was being a woman and was looking for reassurance. :lol:

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
almost all makers have their first year models suck donkey balls . Since I'm hoping to get an '08, I was thinking that reliability of that year would be a lot better than the '06s, which is mostly where the problems I've read in my searches have come from.

Seems to be a misunderstanding here. '06 wasn't a new model year for the GTI. It had already been in production and on the streets abroad. Just new to the states.

salukiwildcat

Nun Bewbs FTW!
Car(s)
2006 GTI
I've actually been rather lucky. I've been driving my CPO '06 BMP DSG since January, and I have not had one single problem, nor have I noticed any creaks, squeaks, or annoyances.

I absolutely LOVE my GTI.

Chances are though, you will use your warranty at some point. There haven't been too many reports out there (on this forum at least) of people having problem, after problem, after problem with their MK V's. Overall, I'd say the build quality is rather good.

chadman

Old Guy with Young Car
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
30k miles on my '07. Lots of little annoying things gone funky (click my sig for ugly details) but nothing major gone wrong. All in all I'd say you'd be safe buying a GTI.

ldourlaingti

I fall down some times
Car(s)
08 bmp gti
Yeah, i would have to agree with everyone so far. Every car or manuf has their "issues" or "complaints" This is my second vw, first gti, and I have to say that these bad boys last a long time. My old jetta was a little past 100k and ran like a champ! This is a newer car, obviously, so it should be even better. I wouldnt worry at all! Plus, thats why we have warranties! :thumbsup:

USCTrojan619

get a TSI. new pcv, and other wonderful things our FSI engines don't have.

I got curious about this, so I looked up some VIN #'s of GTIs at a local dealership, and CARFAX came up with this for engine type:

2.0L L4 SFI DOHC 16V

Would the VIN of a TSI GTI show up as such? For example, 2.0L L4 TSI DOHC 16V?

Anyone have a TSI VIN# we can try?

slickvic

I scare other drivers
I bought my 2006 model new in April 2006. I now have 30k+ miles and absolutely no problems to report. So far I have literally only had to perform the routine oil changes and a new set of windshield wiper blades. What your truck buddies could not possibly tell you is that the "Woo Hoo" factor of this car is off the scale. Each day I have a blast driving it. I cannot think of too many sub $30,000 cars that can do that. Also keep in mind that the previous generation of Golf & Jetta did have their share of issues but those have mostly been resolved. Of course thats what the general public latches onto. I'm sure the truck buddies have not performed any statistical research or spent much time around here or the vwvortex site. Just curious, have you taken a GTI test drive yet?

MarcedMan

Ready to race!
I got curious about this, so I looked up some VIN #'s of GTIs at a local dealership, and CARFAX came up with this for engine type:

2.0L L4 SFI DOHC 16V

Would the VIN of a TSI GTI show up as such? For example, 2.0L L4 TSI DOHC 16V?

Anyone have a TSI VIN# we can try?

If you can get an invoice of the car(s) you are looking at, it will help.

Look for the engine type. At the very beginning of the engine code, you will either see BPY (FSI engine) or CCTA/PZEV (TSI engine).

Most 08s have the BPY engine, although there are some 08s that have TSI motors. Those have been specifically ordered as partial zero-emissions vehicles by dealerships, and I suspect you'll likely find those on the west coast.

I have an 08 4dr GTI w. DSG, United Gray. My build date was 4/08 and I have the latest version of the FSI engine.

Hope this helps.

on.your.left

Ready to race!
Well, yes, again, I did search. That's what made me want to make this post in the first place.

What I was getting at was, almost all makers have their first year models suck donkey balls (my Frontier is no exception, which is why I waited for the '06 year). Since I'm hoping to get an '08, I was thinking that reliability of that year would be a lot better than the '06s, which is mostly where the problems I've read in my searches have come from.

So, I guess I was being a woman and was looking for reassurance. :lol:

As others have said already, you are going to find a disproportionate amount of complaints on these and other forums....it's just the nature of the internet and people. We love to complain, but seldom give praise. So, don't be scared away. Do you research and read through these (and others) forums. They are a wealth of info, but sometimes, you gotta sift through a lot of crap to get to the gold.

Also, I've never bought a first year model car. Since it's a first year model, there are bound to be bugs, kinks, etc. that need to be ironed-out...unfortunately, most of these are uncovered by the owners. I'd rather not be that guinea pig, so I usually let a year or two go by before buying a model.

I've had my GTI for just over 2 months (3700km) and I love it! Ya, I'm sure I'll have some issues (what car doesn't?), but, with each and every drive, I'm reminded how much I love my GTI!

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
don't worry about the A/C issue, that was 06 models only. and as kirk already said, the MkV golf has been in production since the end of 2003 in europe...it wasn't new for 06, just finally arrived here in the states.