GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How ran down is your R32?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
You do not need to do your brake fluid twice a year unless you track your car... :bellyroll:

Every 2 years is the requirement, every year is overkill but doable if you really want.

Stylist I love you man, but your maintenance schedule is scary... :biggrin:

OP: I drove my .:R to 116,000 miles prior to selling it. I sols it to buy a TDI as I needed a more fuel efficient car, but the R was still rock solid when I traded it in. The VR6 motor is a very strong design and has never had too many major issues, just keep up with the LONG side of Stylist's schedule and you'll be fine :thumbsup:

For my car, I did my oil and filter every 10k, and a filter change on.y every 5k to keep thinks flowing well. Haldex and DSG every 40k, brakes i did twice in 3 years of ownership, I did plugs at 60k, etc.

3AFL

I just don't know
i dont actually own an R, but at the dealer a couple weeks ago, saw two '09s for sale. $21,000. i have since forgotten the milage.

RussellR32

Ready to race!
I plan to keep this car a long time. I have 70k on it right now and it feels more solid then cars I've driven with 15k on them. The car is built well and if ma treated right will last a long time. The last way I would describe my car is "run down."

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
FYI: The Haldex and AC compressor are ticking time bombs. Variable displacement ac compressors are like variable pitch turbos (Ford's diesel fiasco). BAD idea.

um... what?

I can't speak to the AC compresser (never an issue with mine, 116K) but Haldex is a very solid system, and has been for many years.

Do the 40K fluid/filter changes and Haldex will last longer than you will on this forum... :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Sgt.Stiglitz

It's just Hugo now.......
My AC compressor went at 112,000 and the dealer stocks them because "they go out all the time" (it's complicated by the variable displacement aspect, '04's are probably bullet proof). My Haldex is grenaded at 113,000 and I did the services at half the interval (no flash, no mods). Truthfully nobody knows what's going to happen after 115 or so because there are only a handful of us with this high mileage. I've been on the phone with Haldex tech, VW Technical Services, and my local dealer all week. Have you?

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Why would I; I have a friend who is a Haldex engineer; and sold Haldex controllers for years...

I'm willing to put money on operator error, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Stella Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
188K on mine. Never had any major motor or dsg issues with it. It gets daily driven during the week and usually flogged on the track or in the mountains on the weekends. 900- 1200 miles a week has to come from somewhere.

My maintenance schedule for the most part is based on an as needed basis. Oil and filter changes are done every 3K religiously. Dsg, haldex, brake, and diff are done when the fluid is either dirty or fails ph/ reserve alkalinity tests. Coolant and plugs are done every march. Everything else is done when it starts to fail. Very few things will just fail. Most will make noise or throw codes long before any irreversible or expensive damage is caused.

R32UAE

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2006 R32 MKV
FYI: The Haldex and AC compressor are ticking time bombs. Variable displacement ac compressors are like variable pitch turbos (Ford's diesel fiasco). BAD idea.

It is true about the A/C compressors. I do not know about the Haldex. But I am at 105K right now and I had to order a new compressor. After many internet searches I read that the A/C compressors that were intially installed had and have many issues causing them to stop working. They ended up contracting Sanden as an OEM replacement as they are better made.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2009 TR GTI
Why would I; I have a friend who is a Haldex engineer; and sold Haldex controllers for years...

I'm willing to put money on operator error, but what do I know :rolleyes:

Maintenece on all German cars is key. A buddy of mine has a MKIV R32 (2nd car) with over 120K and never had any issues with Haldex etc... But it has always been maintained to the highest degree.

He still wants top dollar for the car as well :mad: LOL

aleksr32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW R32
188K on mine. Never had any major motor or dsg issues with it. It gets daily driven during the week and usually flogged on the track or in the mountains on the weekends. 900- 1200 miles a week has to come from somewhere.

My maintenance schedule for the most part is based on an as needed basis. Oil and filter changes are done every 3K religiously. Dsg, haldex, brake, and diff are done when the fluid is either dirty or fails ph/ reserve alkalinity tests. Coolant and plugs are done every march. Everything else is done when it starts to fail. Very few things will just fail. Most will make noise or throw codes long before any irreversible or expensive damage is caused.

dang thats the R32 with the most miles that ive heard of...but answers my question that i had if these cars have a lot of problems after 100k...like you said, maintenance is vital for them to endure mile after mile.. thanks!!

Sgt.Stiglitz

Thanks genius. More like technician error. That's why they're putting a new one in it. The majority of the stealerships don't even know how to service their own cars. Where does your imaginary friend work now that Haldex spun off to Borg Warner? They probably kept him on because he's smart like you.

Sgt.Stiglitz

It is true about the A/C compressors. I do not know about the Haldex. But I am at 105K right now and I had to order a new compressor. After many internet searches I read that the A/C compressors that were intially installed had and have many issues causing them to stop working. They ended up contracting Sanden as an OEM replacement as they are better made.

Sanden is the OEM. I was lucky enough to catch mine before it came unglued and filled the lines with metal. I'm sending my entire Haldex to be disassembled and analyzed in a lab to determine what exactly went wrong. I think the tech filled my diff with Haldex fluid. It ran for about 300 miles total before it came unglued. It sounded like ball bearings in a blender.

Saabstory

Car(s)
MKVI Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks genius. More like technician error. That's why they're putting a new one in it. The majority of the stealerships don't even know how to service their own cars. Where does your imaginary friend work now that Haldex spun off to Borg Warner? They probably kept him on because he's smart like you.

You really are an idiot aren't you...? I would consider answering your dumbass questions but you aren't worth the effort. :rolleyes:

Good luck with your car