GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How many sets?/Options for Wheels

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
Posting this in the autocross forum to hopefully avoid: "get 19s, slam, stretch, profit"

I got my GTI a month or so ago, an 09, with the 18" huffs. They look sweet, but not all the roads are super smooth around here, they weigh as much as a horse, and 18" tires a bit more expensive than 17s. Also, I did my first autocross event, second one coming up next week, and would like some smaller/lighter/stickier tires and wheels.
I live in western north carolina where we don't get too much snow, but we get the occasional drop. I was always fine in my all seasons, though my last car had AWD.

Sorry for the novel. What sort of suggestions do you have for a year-round set up?
I don't mind trading/selling the Huffs. Should I keep them with all season and run those when I'm not autocrossing on 17" summer tires? Run 17" Summer tires all summer, then switch to 18" all season in the fall/winter? Get two new sets of 17s? Summer tires on 17s, with a set of winters on steelies?

Again, sorry for the long post, but thanks a ton for your advice. Even just posting what you use and where you live would be helpful.

BlaineWasHere

I brake for apexes!
When I lived in Michigan I ran 245/40/17 RE01r's on 17x8" wheels on the street as well as on the track, for the winter I had 225/45/17 snow tires on 17x7" wheels.

My suggestion is if you don't get snow often I would just keep the Huffs and run them with all seasons for the winter and run 17's with really aggressive summers (like RE11r's or Starspecs) for the summer and AutoX/track.

Shane62

Passed Driver's Ed
When I lived in Michigan I ran 245/40/17 RE01r's on 17x8" wheels on the street as well as on the track, for the winter I had 225/45/17 snow tires on 17x7" wheels.

My suggestion is if you don't get snow often I would just keep the Huffs and run them with all seasons for the winter and run 17's with really aggressive summers (like RE11r's or Starspecs) for the summer and AutoX/track.

Agreed. Two sets is the way to go if you want to have competitive (or at least fun) tires for autocross or track days. I have my stock denvers and contis for the street and just bought some Kumho v710s and a set o Sport Editions (they were CHEAP) for autocross.

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll probably go with two sets. I guess the question now is maybe autocross only wheels: something light and cheap with super stickies, or all summer: something nicer with maybe less sticky to get more miles out of em. Id like to go the route of all summer, because I'd probably get tired of switching out wheels once a month for just 3 autocross runs. I know the answer is 'depends' but about how many miles will I get out of summer tires. My commute is slow and boring, I dont push it too hard. Will I burn through em quick enough to make it worth going autocross-only route?

Jahan

Passed Driver's Ed

This is what I do. I have 17x8 OZ Ultraleggera's with Starspecs for track days and Goodyear Eagle GT's for all year DD use. Also in Michigan . . . they work pretty decent in the snow, but my wife will be driving the car this winter, so I'll probably pick up a 3rd set of snows.

RE-11's and star specs wear out too fast and are too noisy for DD use for me.

Jahan

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll probably go with two sets. I guess the question now is maybe autocross only wheels: something light and cheap with super stickies, or all summer: something nicer with maybe less sticky to get more miles out of em. Id like to go the route of all summer, because I'd probably get tired of switching out wheels once a month for just 3 autocross runs. I know the answer is 'depends' but about how many miles will I get out of summer tires. My commute is slow and boring, I dont push it too hard. Will I burn through em quick enough to make it worth going autocross-only route?

If you are going to spend the $$$ on another set of tires, go all out and get some sticky ones. I have 6000 miles on my star specs, including 3 trackdays, and I think they are about 70% used up (and LOUD). But they are great on the track, I'm going to buy another set after these are gone.

freedomweasel

Passed Driver's Ed
I DDed RE01r's and while they did get loud they did not ware out as fast as I thought they would at all.

I'd also like to get more use out of any new wheels, more than just the 3 more autocross events the club has planned. So DDing them in the warmer months with something not too aggressive would be a bonus. How do summer tires do in the rain? you can count on it raining almost every afternoon around here once it heats up.