GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How long did your factory battery last?

Tarwheel

Ready to race!
I bought my Golf 2.5 in December 2012 and the original battery died in less than 6 months. VW replaced it under warranty and the newer battery lasted until this month, from April 2013 to
July 2020, so it lasted more than 7 years. That's pretty good in my book, so I replaced it with another VW battery.

gijoewoz

Go Kart Champion
I bought my Golf 2.5 in December 2012 and the original battery died in less than 6 months. VW replaced it under warranty and the newer battery lasted until this month, from April 2013 to
July 2020, so it lasted more than 7 years. That's pretty good in my book, so I replaced it with another VW battery.
That's very good. Some people just have unrealistic expectations for how long a battery should last. I'd say that 7 years from an OEM battery is very impressive.

mkv_martinez

Go Kart Champion
That's very good. Some people just have unrealistic expectations for how long a battery should last. I'd say that 7 years from an OEM battery is very impressive.

I think a lot of people
A- forget about it completely
B- feel like while it works it should not be replaced

I was actually told by one or two people that OEM batteries last much longer than aftermarket and that I should run the OEM battery until it starts giving me reasons to change it. I was a bit uneasy about pushing my battery as many years as I was (car build date in 2011), so I swapped it before I had issues presenting themselves anyway. I feel like I got my moneys worth and didn't want to wait until it didn't crank one day or something; this car has already left me stranded enough times.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
Eight years, i think, but my batteries have always lasted longer than normal. I would say plan on 3 to 4 years, depending on your location, extremely cold or hot environment and your
personal habits, radio playing while car not running, leaving lights on etc. Much easier to monitor it and change it out before its on its last leg, because it can just stop working. And that could be expensive.

jnj2455

Ready to race!
April 2011 manufacturing, have owned since May '11. Lasted me till roughly summer of '18. Was dying intermittently leading up to then and fully died the morning I was about to go on a car trip vacation...

My car sat unused for a few weeks at a time at some points in recent years + went through several temperature/season cycles so I'll say the OEM battery was pretty strong.

Braunschwagen

Just replaced mine today (first replacement) in my 2014 DE. Pretty good run for a battery here in the NE! Does anyone know off hand if I need to program this thing?

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
My oem battery lasted 4 years. It didn't fail, but I felt it was cranking a bit slower. Rather than have it fail & strand me someplace I replaced it with a AGM battery. I didn't do any programming.

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Just replaced mine today (first replacement) in my 2014 DE. Pretty good run for a battery here in the NE! Does anyone know off hand if I need to program this thing?
No programming; but you may need to reset some stuff, like radio settings, windows up/down functionality.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
You're gonna have to become a leet haxor and short the mainframe to the gigacircuit. The only thing left is so choose a cool hacker nickname like high voltage

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
You're gonna have to become a leet haxor and short the mainframe to the gigacircuit. The only thing left is so choose a cool hacker nickname like high voltage
HACK THE PLANET

Braunschwagen

Thanx guys! Did the windows, radio seems fine, set the time, and good to go! I did do a throttle body alignment as suggested by the peeps over at Ross-Tech for whenever you disconnect your battery. Here, if anyone is interested. Ross-Tech TBA Procedure

Now, if I could just come up with that perfect hacker name... Code Malone?