GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How HIGH will Koni coilovers go?

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
Yes, you've read that correctly. Most people want to know how low coils go, but I need to know how high the Koni coils go. I'm in Chicago where there's snow on the ground for at least 4 months out of the year. I was just curious if I can adjust the height of the coils to about the same as stock (I have an '08), or if the highest they go is lower than stock height.
Also, is there anything other than the Koni coilover kit that I need to order for this suspension swap...like new bumpstops, or new hardware kits containing some bolts and other miscellaneous pieces (I've seen ECS sell these)?

MiKeVGTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
In the Koni discussion thread, I remember reading that Koni recommends running their suspension 2in below stock. I think it tends to cause problems with the springs IIRC.

Last edited:

Tpass

Ready to race!
Car(s)
08 BMP 6M GTI
I run mine pretty high, 25 1/2" ground to top of wheel arch. still lower than stock but I wouldn't go much higher as the lower perch is up pretty high on the threads.

I got new axel bolts, tried to do the swap without removing the axel bolts but on the passenger side I couldn't get the strut out without removing the bolt. My car only had about 10,000 mi when I did the swap so my upper strut bearings were fine.

eROCK

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
08 GTI 4 door
I keep hearing something about bumpstops, or suspension limiters like they sell on the VW drivers gear store? Are they needed, or a good idea?

Coils should come with bumpstops. I've seen many coils raise to stock, if not higher, but I'm not sure about the Koni's. Whats your fender-to-ground at about halfway up the threads? I'd use that as a rough start and go from there. I could see how having them all the way up could cause problems for the springs though.

-FF

supaflip

WWAATTAAHH!!!
You can raise the Koni coils as high as stock height. The only issue I had when lowered I it back, my front driver spring starts binding. Koni recommends to run these coils 2in below stock and it's not design to be driven in stock height. I talked to their technicians and I got the same answer.

Tho, if ur planning to raise ur coils from the lowest settings to a stock height, I recommend taking the shocks out. It's not easy to raise it up that high, plus this will help ur springs from the tension of spinning it up, this will also avoid binding when u go back to the lowestbsettings (which I didn't do all this, that's why I had the spring bind). Don't take my word for it tho, maybe koni coils aren't really design to ride as stock