GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How far in front of you are you suppose to see?

Maximum6

FASTER
Of course any driver is suppose to see further ahead and not in front of their cars.

But I want to know what is the proper "height" setting on my seat so that I'm not limited in my vission, yet I don't want to be driving high up and lose that coupe seating position feel.

About how far ahead of the nose of the car is a driver suppose to see?

Especially when doing autocross where you want to get next to the cones as close as possible.

Minimaul

Chronic Masturbator
Car(s)
e36 m3/4/5
My normal seating position is all the way down. When I autocross I jack my seat up. I like to be able to see the whole hood and I also do it to get my seatbelt nice and tight. I'd suggest going comfortably high. The more of the hood you can see, the better. Just make sure you're not hitting your head on the headliner/roof or that you are uncomfortable.

You shouldn't be looking directly, or even a little bit in front of your car. You want to be looking at least a few cones ahead. That way you're planning your line, instead of reacting. I doubt you'll get the chance to actually look how close you are to cones. When watching the better autocrossers go I've tend to notice that they don't really look to see where their car is, they know where it is. It'll take practice and knowing your car well to do it. but it'll happen. Also, have some instructors go with you and see if they can tell you how much closer you need to get. you'll get an idea of how to turn on certain corners, or slaloms by where you line things up. It may feel close, but an instructor should be able to tell you if you can get closer or not.

Last edited:
^^ Very true and good advice for the autocross part. Don't worry about the "coupe" feeling for autocross. When I auctocross I set my seat up 5-6 pumps from the lowest setting. This allows me 2 see the whole hood and the entire course out of my front and 2 side windows. As far as closeness to the sterring wheel goes I set it so when my arms are fully extended by wrists are on the steering wheel. Im pretty short tho 5'5 and i'm not sure if the wrists thing is the "proper" judgement but it works for me.