GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How difficult to replace small radiator fan?

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
I started to replace my fan today before I had to go into work and looks like I can complete the job, but I'm having real trouble disconnecting the fan wiring harness connector. I slid the red clip up, but cannot get the connector to budge. Is there another clip of some sort that has to be undone? Please help! Thanks.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Ah yes - couldn't figure that out either. I ended up forcing that little clip with a flat head screw driver and it popped out.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes - that's what ended up happening.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Are we talking about the connector between the large and small fan or the one that plugs into the fan assembly?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Main fan assembly connector with the red slide clip.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Main fan assembly connector with the red slide clip.

Hmmm... I don't remember this for some reason. I feel like mine was just a typical clip like on the coils. I first squeezed the connector tight to relieve pressure and then pushed on the small tab away from the connectors to separate them.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
Main Connector. I broke off the small red clip and the halves separated fine. I will use duct tape to join the halves once the assembly is back in the vehicle. One good thing is the old fan was bad and new one turns with voltage applied. Have to wait until after work to finish the job. Thank you very much!

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Unfortunately, although the new small fan works the fans still spin up on High when I turn the car off after a drive.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
A41, there may not be a problem with that, unless the car did not act that way in the past. I asked the dealer about it when I got mine used and they said that it was perfectly normal?

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I don't recall that every happening regularly but the large fan was cranking away on a regularly basis for the past 6 months since the small fan died. If it were extremely hot I wouldn't think much of the fans running after the car is turned off but today was only in the 70s. At least both fans are working so cooling shouldn't be an issue but I'm concerned about lifespan if they're always working so hard.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
My new fan is installed and working as it is supposed to now. I would like to thank everyone who posted and gave me assistance. Unfortunately, my A/C is still slow to start cooling (5-10 minutes) so my next step will be to swap out the RCV valve in the compressor. I have access to a vacuum pump so the recharge of the refrigerant won't be a problem.

257Roberts

Passed Driver's Ed
I have ordered the RCV valve. Hope this will fix the problem. Just wondering, When the MKV A/C is working properly, how efficient is the system in terms of cooling the car quickly. Mine never did cool quickly, but after 15 min even on a hot day, the car became comfortable. My wife's Infiniti will cool the car before you get out of the parking lot. I do live in the deep south, so the temperature today is 90 degrees with 85% humidity.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Have you tried replacing the hugh probably pressure thrust sensor (G65)? I just ordered one and hop that does the trick - can be replaced without evacuating andvrecharging the system.