GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Horrible Engine Noise

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
Check your follower asap. Sounds like hard clanking from the cam.

08AhdowbanGTI

Ready to race!
Hope the dealership isnt far away...

Dredknut

DSG Fart Fanatic
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I've got the CPO 2yr/40,000km warranty

the sound hasn't come back today, appointment is at 8am Friday morning so we will see

If your follower has failed and you drive the car until friday, guaranteed you're doing damage to your engine as you've now got chunks of follower floating around in your oil.

I doubt you're follower has been changed and with 90k+ on the car, you're likely way overdue. You don't know how the car was driven/maintained prior to Nov '10.

Cynikal.Mindset

GTI Virus Infected
well according to the vehicle history it was a lease return and dealer maintained but since even dealerships seem to be clueless about cam follower problems and aren't considered a maintenance item you're right it probably hasn't been changed or even looked at. This is why I bought it CPO'd from a dealership and not private or from a used car lot.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
He only has 59,000 MILES. Might not be a cam follower, could be water pump or cam or other bearing. And sound travels, so it could be from most anywhere.

lightnik

Get your cam follower & high pressure fuel pump checked. 94xxx miles on mine. Took it into dealer today for similar noise and loss of power issues and found out VW has extended warranty up to 120k for cam follower in this car (FSI engines). So I am getting all new cams, new high pressure fuel pump, new cam follower, etc. Basically a minor engine rebuild, all on VW.

I was an early member of this forum under s/n GTI2007mgc, didn't use forum for past 18 months and couldn't get back in under that s/n but now that I am having some repair issues am back on here and finding it invaluable.

Cynikal.Mindset

GTI Virus Infected
I brought it in to Bramgate VW and it was diagnosed as needing a new Dual Mass Flywheel. That's on order for next week. Not only was there the sound there was also a vibration at idle that kinda felt like a misfire stumble.

They pulled the HPFP and the follower was still DLC coated and looked brand new along withe cam lobe.