Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Attachments

• 2006 VW Commercial.jpg
    2006 VW Commercial.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 361

rkrmk7

Passed Driver's Ed
The styling is a little much but damn the US finally gets a Civic Type R. I loved my GSR and RSX, FWD and 300 plus HP, well we all know the struggles. Much rather get an Golf R which is styled better imo.

Cruiser

Ready to race!
That's...not inaccurate, I think. I teach at a college with a huge video game development studio; about a quarter of our undergraduates are in the Game Studio, learning to be designers, programmers, artists, and producers. Though my academic background is in history and political science, for years I also worked in the game industry, mostly as a magazine editor, journalist, and writer, though I did small bits of design and writing for games. The demographic of gamers, players and creators, is shifting from all white males to a much more diverse spectrum of people, but it still is pretty heavily centered on young males with tastes that line up exactly with this Honda.

These young people read manga and anime, exhaustively. They obsess about Japan, still. Their aesthetics are shaped by otaku culture and Nintendo (think spiky hair, angles, wild colors and proportions). I'm generalizing, but yeah, I think this car will nail that demo spot-on. Given that the kids we graduate go on to make good money in their fields, I'm betting dollars to donuts that some of them will be driving these monstrosities soon :).

Fascinating first hand insight, thanks for sharing! :)

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
I’m trying to avoid its hideous back & concentrate looking at all the performance tweaks that we all ever wanted in our Golfs. Functional as funk unfortunately way too visible for our “German”taste. I never like Honda, but this Type R in white looks good but that stupid wing and those 3 pipes.

This Info. Link Is from the older model, now imagine the new one..

http://ae-plus.com/features/honda-civic-type-r-chassis/page:1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mbarton36

Ready to race!

I know this is a 1997 Toyota Supra, BUTTTTT. Why can't Honda OR toyota just make a sports car like this anymore? The New Civic Type R looks way too "aftermarket" for my taste. Aftermarket meaning it looks like a car an 18yr old bought some aftermarket parts for from AutoZone and bolted on the exterior. I'm all good with 300HP and an aggressive look but let's keep it classy. Sorry for venting but every time I see a "tricked out car" I think back to my high school days when I thought adding aftermarket lights to the undercarriage was a cool thing.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
As Jeremy Clarkson would say
"It's like they took the stock car and crashed into Halfords" (Pep Boys UK counterpart)

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I guess if one drives the Honda R they better be ready to race everyone at every red light.
I have teenagers pull up next to my GTI and rev their 2004 Honda Civic engines now.
Would be much worse in this car with Fast and Furious looks.

Ok Sandman time upgrade to IS38! Gotta keep those kids controled! ????
2004 Honda Civic, hilarious ???

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Ok Sandman time upgrade to IS38! Gotta keep those kids controled! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

2004 Honda Civic, hilarious [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

One time a car full of kids pulled next to me while I was doing 40mph down the main drag. It was a 4 door Camry from about 15 years ago and in bad shape at that. The passenger was yelling something but I had the windows up, and then the driver honked the horn 3 times. I had to try very hard to not give in and race him so I could prove my manhood by beating his hot looking Camry.

This just happened to be our County Fair week last year which is held in our city. I am sure the boys were feeling good. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JLgti

Ready to race!
As a salesman for Honda I can honestly say that the new type R civic is too "riced" out. Honda over did it in my opinion. Power it's putting down is nice but it's a FWD vehicle. Price tag will be around mid 30k range. Believe it or not I've had many people drive by and asked me when it will be available and some were even wanting to put a deposit down. Me personally I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a civic. The regular civic ex,ex-l ex-t and touring is over priced. My first vehicle I had back in the day was a 2004 civic ex which was only 18k msrp. Now a days civic ex are going for 21k range msrp. I will sell the sht out of it and maybe drive the sht out of it when it gets here when it's not busy. Whoever likes it then more power to them I guess.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
As a salesman for Honda I can honestly say that the new type R civic is too "riced" out. Honda over did it in my opinion. Power it's putting down is nice but it's a FWD vehicle. Price tag will be around mid 30k range. Believe it or not I've had many people drive by and asked me when it will be available and some were even wanting to put a deposit down. Me personally I wouldn't pay that kind of money for a civic. The regular civic ex,ex-l ex-t and touring is over priced. My first vehicle I had back in the day was a 2004 civic ex which was only 18k msrp. Now a days civic ex are going for 21k range msrp. I will sell the sht out of it and maybe drive the sht out of it when it gets here when it's not busy. Whoever likes it then more power to them I guess.

I agree.
They will sell some, but how many more could they sell if it appealed to a wider age group. I feel the Focus ST and RS are designed for a young driver and due to this I think it will not sell as many as it could. I understand the draw to manuals and the desire to keep them around but when Ford made the Focus ST a manual only I think they cut off a lot of the sales group. Guys like me are older and now want an auto that can drive much like a manual if possible. We also want a car incase the wife needs to ever drive it. VW having a mature design with manual and DSG option can cover a wider group of potential buyers. I asked the Sales Person who sold me my car how it was going with the Diesel issue. She said it was going very well. Even with the bad news sales were strong. Stronger than when I purchased my car in March 2015.

With this new Honda, the RS and now GTI/R facelift, you do not hear much about the ST. Funny as it was the first one out. Time for redesign. But ford is slow on this.

JLgti

Ready to race!
I agree.
They will sell some, but how many more could they sell if it appealed to a wider age group. I feel the Focus ST and RS are designed for a young driver and due to this I think it will not sell as many as it could. I understand the draw to manuals and the desire to keep them around but when Ford made the Focus ST a manual only I think they cut off a lot of the sales group. Guys like me are older and now want an auto that can drive much like a manual if possible. We also want a car incase the wife needs to ever drive it. VW having a mature design with manual and DSG option can cover a wider group of potential buyers. I asked the Sales Person who sold me my car how it was going with the Diesel issue. She said it was going very well. Even with the bad news sales were strong. Stronger than when I purchased my car in March 2015.

With this new Honda, the RS and now GTI/R facelift, you do not hear much about the ST. Funny as it was the first one out. Time for redesign. But ford is slow on this.

Agreed! I looked into the Ford Focus rs and st before purchasing my gti. I do like the low key look of the gti. Mine is equipped with dsg transmission and I'm loving that. When I was younger I wouldn't dare buy a performance vehicle with an auto. Like you, I am older now and dsg is perfect for me and my wife.

The age group that has been coming through my dealership are preteen age with their parents and mid 20s. Haven't spoken to anyone older than 25 years of age about the new type r. Not yet anyway.

We did have a focus rs sitting here at the used lot and I drove them around when I had nothing to do and although it's a fun little car, the finish of the vehicle is not comparable to the gti. Gti and golf r are a much better vehicle in a lot of ways for sure!