GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Level Help Needed

HACBassoon

Go Kart Champion
How many are there and in which wheel wells. Hoping to get it done this weekend, these headlights are dangerous

tharsis

I <3 VAG
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I had the same problem. Adjusting on the headlights didn't work, because they kept resetting to the same too low position. Had my buddy do the vag com thing to reset the home position on them, and now they are just fine.

mithong

Passed Driver's Ed
yeah this is the thing.. EVEN if your hid levelers are in the correct positions, your HIDs will still be low because of the drop of the car... people are saying "its fine after you fix the position of the levelers" but i don tunderstand how people can deal with the lack of visibility from the lower headlights.

335 Trojan

Macro FTW.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
yeah this is the thing.. EVEN if your hid levelers are in the correct positions, your HIDs will still be low because of the drop of the car... people are saying "its fine after you fix the position of the levelers" but i don tunderstand how people can deal with the lack of visibility from the lower headlights.

you can REDAJUST the HIDS to RELEARN the HOME POSITON with Vag-Com. This will take care of it pointing too LOW.

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
sorry im a noob

so if you can manually adjust the headlights like this, why do you need the vagcom?

You just want to have Vag-Com make sure that your sensors are working correctly, and isn't damaged. The values that you check on Vag-com are working ranges for the HID LEVELERS them selves. You manually still adjust them, but you want the levelers values to stay within the acceptable range (which i forgot) for the HID to adjust properly. i.e. if you carry a heavy load you want your headlights to adjust for this by, the change in value you get from the sensors being pressed upon with the extra weight, so if they aren't in the acceptable range, then the value will be off and your lights won't adjust correctly and maybe point too LOW infront of you.

This is my understanding. I checked with vag-com after my spring install and my values were in the acceptable range. Then i manually adjusted them against a wall 25ft back. Now they are perfect.!!

mithong

Passed Driver's Ed
You just want to have Vag-Com make sure that your sensors are working correctly, and isn't damaged. The values that you check on Vag-com are working ranges for the HID LEVELERS them selves. You manually adjust them, but want to stay within these values for the HID to adjust properly, if you carry a heavy load you want your headlights to adjust for this, so if they aren't the acceptable range, then your lights won't adjust correctly.

This is my understanding. I checked with vag-com after my spring install and my values were in the acceptable range. Then i manually adjusted them against a wall 25ft back. Now they are perfect.!!

i got the prokits too... so i was wondering, any chance you remember how many times you turned the adjusting screw for both headlights? =/

because i dont hav ea clue what to adjust the lights to, i dont want to make them too high and blind people

UMassJ77

JawnY
Car(s)
MKV GTI DSG
i got the prokits too... so i was wondering, any chance you remember how many times you turned the adjusting screw for both headlights? =/

because i dont hav ea clue what to adjust the lights to, i dont want to make them too high and blind people

Wow that is a tough one, i actually did a lot of full turns mixed with half turns, quarter turns. LOL

STEP 1: Park your car on level ground with the headlights about 10 to 15 feet (3 to 4.5 m) from a wall or garage door.

STEP 2: Find the adjusting screws for the headlights. They will probably be inset adjacent to the headlight. You'll find a horizontal (L and R) and a (U and D) vertical adjusting screw.

STEP 3: Turn the headlights on.

STEP 4: Notice where the light shines, using the wall or garage door as your gauge. Check for uneven or cross-eyed light beams.

STEP 5: Turn the adjusting screws with a Phillips screwdriver while looking at the wall. Turn slowly and continue to check the wall until the light beams are even and tilted slightly downward (so your car's headlights won't blind oncoming traffic).

STEP 6: Test-drive in the dark and repeat steps 1 through 5 as necessary.

grasshopper

Frankie Says Reflex
Car(s)
Jeep Wrangler JK
Trial and error works fine as every car will be different. You can watch the beam cutoff all the way to the diminishing point while on a test drive. If the cutoff looks like its about knee level the whole way, it's ok.

GTI_GRL

Passed Driver's Ed
glad to see i wasnt the only one w/the problem.
just installed the koni sport suspension kit and yea, i have to do all the above!
thanks for the good info!!!

agpatel

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI MkV
maybe take it to the dealer at your next service and have them check it, i know for the 40k service the headlight adj. is included

Also so everyone has had to adj there HID's manually (via vag-com to put in home position) after susp. install even a mild one as the pro-sport?

VWGuy1089

Car(s)
2006 GTI
headlight not aligning themselves

My headlights did the same thing when i put my springs on and i just unhooked the battery and it reset the lights.