GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HID Fog Lights; 3000K or 4300K?

Mikes08GTI

vroom *brap* vroom *brap*
Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
So, I'm thinking of upgrading my oem euro projector fogs from the Hoen Endurance halogen bulbs to HID's. As much as I like the Hoen's, I would like more light on the road.

Which brings me to this...

Should I but a 3000K kit to retain the yellow "bad weather" look, or should I go with a more OEM-looking 4300K kit? Personally, I am leaning toward the 4300K, but Id like to hear your opinions and see some pictures to help me make up my mind.

:thumbsup:

xKLBx

Ready to race!
x4!

yellows all the way..

brooklyn huh? mE TOO! wont be much use since you cant really see the yellow.. but once it snows and at night.. that shit lights up!

Mikes08GTI

Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
Well, I ordered a VVME kit in 4300K. I figure I'll try the matched-look for now, and I can always switch to a 3000K down the road:thumbsup:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I am still undecided on which i like better for looks but for pure function with looks aside. 3000k is much better for visibility. Therefore I would go yellow

Mikes08GTI

Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
As soon as I get them installed I'll let everyone know how it went. I bought the slim ballasts to help keep everything as compact as possible.

MACH GTI

Ready to race!
i think 4300k will still provide a very sufficient amount of lighting and brighter than the 3000k. The 3000k only penetrates better.

rmark_gti

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2006 Golf GTi
For those who have installed HID fogs, did you all use projector housings as well? I have a set of 3000k HIDs installed in my fogs too. However, I am finding that the light gets disbursed quite drastically. Would projectors help?

drevaen2

formerly Motulcanada
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I got my kit from www.ultimatehidkits.com. Works just fine with their Bulb-Out Warning Module.
I also had to put my fogs at 100% dimming value. I had to reverse the polarity of the fog connector to make it work too.
I took 5000K, and I think they dont match the stock 4300K headlight, a little to blue.
I'm definitely going with the projectors, the glare is to much for the incoming drivers.

xKLBx

Ready to race!
i just installed projectors last week and i do some night time driving.. and i find while the reflector fogs do have a wide spread it is overall even. while driving on a road with high walls, i notice itll go up past the low beam cut off.. with the projectors it doesnt do that since there is cut off line but i also notice is that the middle section in front of the plate isnt lit as much. im guessing because its due to the way the fogs are positioned..

projector will be like this.. \| |/
oem reflector would be like VV

all in all.. the projector will give you a nicer cut while the oem will give you a brighter and wider light output.. will have to try tomorrow night.. cover the headlights and run the fogs and see how the output it..

Mikes08GTI

Car(s)
2011 CSG GTI 4-Door
I'm hoping the get my HID's by the weekend. DHL tracking says they left their Cincinnati hub at around 5:00AM this morning (11/4). Not bad, considering that they were shipped from Beijing:eyebulge:

EDIT:

As of 6:40AM (11/4), the package has departed the DHL NYC Gateway facility. Damn, that's quick!

EDIT:

DHL says that they're in Queens and were given to the courier for delivery. They may be here today!

Last edited: