GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help with TPMS!

JLane

20k+ miles a year club
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I have a 2007 gti 2 door, and I'm not sure what kind of pressure monitoring system my car has. If I'm correct, there are two types of systems, one of them measures the actual tire pressure and the other measures the distance traveled in one tire rotation, and compares the distance to the other tires (i will call them type 1 & 2, respectively). I also think that type 1 requires sensors, and type 2 does not. (i could definitely be wrong though)

I do not have the "TPMS" button next to the ashtray thing (i always thought this meant i had no TPMS), but when I got a flat tire (water filled pothole :mad: ), I got a low tire pressure indicator on my MFD and the tire pressure light came up (http://www.tiretpms.com/upload/1294799207.jpg <---this light)

Long story short, I am not sure if I have type 1 or type 2 TPMS, and am therefore unsure if i need to purchase sensors when i buy new rims

p.s. as you can tell, im very new to the forum. i honestly did try and search this throughout the forum. It might exist, but i dont know how to find it. (some searching advice would be great! :bow: )

humanomaly

(aka "The Anti-Crust")
FYI, went to dealer for service and they took 4 psi out of my tires to take it down to 36 even though, the tire rack says 39 psi for XL tires, using Dunlop SportMaxx TT's now, they're ok, but have gotten 1 sidewall bubble over 10K miles, on a minor freeway paving area....had gotten 2 bubbles with the stock tires over 27K miles over a highway paving area, and one because I misjudged a driveway an caught a little of the curve. Are Dunlops more prone to sidewall bubbles than say Conti3's or Pirelli Tires?????

JLane

20k+ miles a year club
Car(s)
2007 GTI
the valve stems are metal, with a bolt looking thing at the base of the stem (the caps are plastic).
but thanks guys! and damn.. thats another 200 bucks for rims.
how can i find people with a vag com that live near me?