GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me school my friend

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I have a very good friend who is in the market for a new car. It seems no matter what I say, I cannot influence his choice of vehicles. He bought a Hyudai Elantra (hatch back sort of style) brand new like 10 years ago, and it is the only car he has ever owned. It's nearing 200k miles and was just the victim of a hit and run on his passenger rear door.

At first he was thinking of a small sized SUV. So he was thinking the Mazda CX-5 (I think that was the one). I recommended the Tiguan - I own one and think it's great.

Then he starts thinking about a Nissan Juke. He told me I would think he was crazy for liking them, and I do. Bonkers. Ugliest thing on the road.

Next it was a Subaru Legacy. I told him if he wanted a Legacy and he should just go for a WRX.

Now it's a Chevy Cruze, I went to Wikipedia and looked up the Cruze - it says it was designed by Daewoo for Chevy and is manufactured in all of the worst places of the world with only one plant in the USA making them which probably doesn't guarantee yours will be made here. Even if it was.. WTF a Cruze?

He just doesn't even consider a euro car - says they are nice but more expensive. Please give me tips to help him make a better decision about his next vehicle. It doesn't have to be a Golf or a GTI. I'd love to see him get in a VW, I don't think he'd regret it, but I can't even get him to test drive one. He wants something mod-able. He is more about show than go. The things he is looking at are not very mod-able, at least not with any taste. I think he is all over the place and doesn't know what he wants - he really still loves his Elantra.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
I have a very good friend who is in the market for a new car. It seems no matter what I say, I cannot influence his choice of vehicles. He bought a Hyudai Elantra (hatch back sort of style) brand new like 10 years ago, and it is the only car he has ever owned. It's nearing 200k miles and was just the victim of a hit and run on his passenger rear door.

At first he was thinking of a small sized SUV. So he was thinking the Mazda CX-5 (I think that was the one). I recommended the Tiguan - I own one and think it's great.

Then he starts thinking about a Nissan Juke. He told me I would think he was crazy for liking them, and I do. Bonkers. Ugliest thing on the road.

Next it was a Subaru Legacy. I told him if he wanted a Legacy and he should just go for a WRX.

Now it's a Chevy Cruze, I went to Wikipedia and looked up the Cruze - it says it was designed by Daewoo for Chevy and is manufactured in all of the worst places of the world with only one plant in the USA making them which probably doesn't guarantee yours will be made here. Even if it was.. WTF a Cruze?

He just doesn't even consider a euro car - says they are nice but more expensive. Please give me tips to help him make a better decision about his next vehicle. It doesn't have to be a Golf or a GTI. I'd love to see him get in a VW, I don't think he'd regret it, but I can't even get him to test drive one. He wants something mod-able. He is more about show than go. The things he is looking at are not very mod-able, at least not with any taste. I think he is all over the place and doesn't know what he wants - he really still loves his Elantra.

Sounds like the average person who just wants a reliable efficient economical car. Nothing wrong with that, maybe try to get him look at another Hyundai replacement. They come with good warranty and the quality has been a lot better than 10 years ago.

Jaber

Modero
Sounds like the average person who just wants a reliable efficient economical car. Nothing wrong with that, maybe try to get him look at another Hyundai replacement. They come with good warranty and the quality has been a lot better than 10 years ago.

:word:

This. You wouldn't want to be the friend who forced/persuaded someone to get something, then when problems rise, you'll get that cold shoulder.

Why I don't recommend or sell cars to close family/friends. Although I broke this rule with my last car and sold my Jeep to my brother inlaw. But warned him to not contact me or tell me about problems he encounters.

But the answer is always Miata.

twodotfive

Ready to race!
Yeah...don't push it too hard. You can lightly suggest different cars but in the end if you push him to get a VW and he hates it/has problems with it he's going to end up blaming you.

Why doesn't he look at the Sonata? It's a Hyundai, it's not bad looking and it comes in a 2.0t.

Desert MVIGTI

Go Kart Champion
He bought a Hyudai Elantra (hatch back sort of style) brand new like 10 years ago, and it is the only car he has ever owned. It's nearing 200k miles

he really still loves his Elantra.

Hyundai Genesis Coupe. Monster Warranty, JDMesque heaven.

Stop telling your sensible friend he needs to buy a car that needs a new water pump every 5K miles.

Jaber

Modero
Why doesn't he look at the Sonata? It's a Hyundai, it's not bad looking and it comes in a 2.0t.

Are their DI engines, prone to carbon buildup like ours? (or maybe slower to develop). A lot of people are not too keen on dealing/paying for carbon buildup cleaning. Esp if they intend to keep the car for long and don't beat on it.

twodotfive

Ready to race!

corrado917

Go Kart Champion
Ganiman.
A Man is the only animal that hits himself with the same rock twice”. No matter what you say, He will not pay attention; specially with the Volkswagen brand. People get that natural refusal when they have new proposals from another source.
In his eyes, you’re a believer due your Tiguan. Let Him die alone.:w00t:

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion
I don't have many "car" friends and I accept their poor taste in transportation choices. If you are really hell bent on getting this friend to go euro you'll have to let the cars speak for themselves... i.e. get him to test drive a few. If he does a few test drives and still doesn't like them then game over. Enjoy riding in his Juke when he's the designated driver:laugh:

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I am not pushing him by any means. I'm not "hell bent" on anything, just helping out a buddy who has been asking for my opinions. Please don't take this any other way, I honestly thought I'd get a different response here that would be mostly neutral and not heavy towards one brand or another. I've gotten a very unexpected response here. This is just friendly advice to make an educated decision, which I think anyone would want.

He likes coming to VW car shows with me, and has asked me to make sure I let him know when they are so he can try to go. I believe he is in need of some serious advice. After I told him the Cruze was designed by Daewoo, he replied and said he went and looked at Daewoo cars and they look nice.

I'd love to see him in a VW because I could do vagcom tweaks for him and we'd have something else in common that we share and could enjoy together. That doesn't mean I am pushing him in to it by any means - I've only recommended the Tiguan as a comparison to the Mazda he was eyeing, and have mentioned the TDIs are pretty awesome when he thought about a Chevy Cruze diesel (didnt know they made one until he mentioned it). Aside from that, VW or Euro has not really been part of our conversations. He's asking my opinion on what I think of his ideas for a new vehicle, and I don't have a great opinion of the options so far.

He actually hasn't considered a Hyundai again yet - I think he doesn't want all 2 cars he has ever owned to be Hyundais and wants to try something different. The first reply got it right - he does want reliable and economical, as well as the ability to personalize the look of the car. He has mentioned body kits on some cars too.

I'm not trying to push him in to what I think he would like, but I think he is a little clueless and could use some nudges. He comes to me for help, I'm not being crazy nutty euros or nothing guy to him.

Last edited:

theunholy

Go Kart Champion
Friend wants SUV but looking at Legacy/Cruze? Anyway, I think CX-5 is a nice car, you should tel him to look for escape and the new Nissan Rogue too, it looks great but it has CVT... I too have a friend who is looking for SUV, but i actually tell them to stay out of VW lol. Tiguan is a bit outdated compare to other cars in its class also its expensive to buy too.

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
Believe it or not cruze is actually a better than than a civic corolla etc as it has vauxhall/opel astra chassis, tight steering etc. My gf drives one n after driving from time to time dont mind owning one if i have long commute, that thing gets insane mileage.

Ganiman

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 GTI
Friend wants SUV but looking at Legacy/Cruze? Anyway, I think CX-5 is a nice car, you should tel him to look for escape and the new Nissan Rogue too, it looks great but it has CVT... I too have a friend who is looking for SUV, but i actually tell them to stay out of VW lol. Tiguan is a bit outdated compare to other cars in its class also its expensive to buy too.

Thanks - yeah I know, he's kind of all over the place which is why I see what folks here might think. I'm pretty narrow minded about what cars I like, and thought I might get more ideas for him here.

Believe it or not cruze is actually a better than than a civic corolla etc as it has vauxhall/opel astra chassis, tight steering etc. My gf drives one n after driving from time to time dont mind owning one if i have long commute, that thing gets insane mileage.

Thanks for the advice about the Cruze. I've never been in one myself, just know what the web taught me this morning. I will let him know at least one person here said it's decent.