GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me out here fellow dubbers, bsh pcv plate won't sit flush on valve cover??

Hi all,

Just last week I had replaced my valve cover gasket because I had a suspicion that it was leaking. That install went fine. During that install, I took off the pcv plate (I have the BSH street catch can setup) to also replace that pcv gasket ( the one with the 2 circles and 2 squares). And now, the pcv plate won't sit flush against the valve cover; where before it was. Car is running fine, a little sluggish but fine; alothough it's leaking air because I can feel it upon hitting boost. Here's a pic:

This is really aggravating; and I hate driving the car knowing something is not perfect. I tried tightening the screws as tight as possible, to the point of even stripping screw, and nothing. I retapped the stripped hole with a bigger thread and put a bigger screw in and still nothing.
What can I do?? I found a new valve cover on 1stvwparts for $180. Will a new valve cover fix this? Because I'm really concerned that what if I buy a new valve cover and it still won't sit flush?? Help!

T0neyDanza

Banned
Car(s)
2007 4 door GTI
yeah, I'd say without seeing it in person that the screw holding it on the left side is stripped and won't hold it tight against the valve cover now. I'm sure someone or you could fab something to make it work, but if you can't then I'd be ordering a new/used valve cover.

yeah i was debating a new cover just for peace of mind. I wish the guys from BSH would chime in on this, but looking at Phil's profile he hasn't been on the forum for almost 3 years

are all the covers for the FSI's the same 2006-2008? Because 1stvwparts hasit for 180, and the dealer for 250, but when i called the dealer they asked for the vin number, whereas 1stvwparts doesnt

thechromecoyote

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE
You aren't supposed to tighten the screws down more than slightly snug. You've over tightened the right side of the plate and as a result it's not sitting flush against the gasket.

The pcv plate isn't making a seal with the plastic like you're attempting to force it to. It's only supposed to seal with the gasket. A new gasket is stiffer and will push the pcv plate out further than you may be used to seeing it.

Take the whole thing off and screw it back in EVENLY like you would with wheel lugs/ bolts.

NJdubber

Performance Enthusiast
Car(s)
Audi A3 2.0T FSI
You aren't supposed to tighten the screws down more than slightly snug. You've over tightened the right side of the plate and as a result it's not sitting flush against the gasket.

The pcv plate isn't making a seal with the plastic like you're attempting to force it to. It's only supposed to seal with the gasket. A new gasket is stiffer and will push the pcv plate out further than you may be used to seeing it.

Take the whole thing off and screw it back in EVENLY like you would with wheel lugs/ bolts.

x2