GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat cycling tires.

BlackVR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Hey, just got some new rubber for this season and was just wondering if/how other MKV guys heat cycle their rubber.

I went with Ventus RS-3s because I need tires with a treadwear rating of 140 or above to compete in ST. Would I see much benefit heat cycling these and letting them sit first, or is that mostly just for R-comps.

I've gotten BFG KDWs for the last 3 seasons and never bothered heat cycling them and didn't notice any issues, but the RS-3s should be quite a bit stickier.

Thanks!
-Ryan

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
This guy knows tires. Select Hoosier care. Good read on warming those tires up.

http://www.bobwoodmantires.com/bwttechtips.php

For an extreme summer tire, they shouldn't need any special break in process. But for first session I would take it easy until they scuff up a bit as they won't have maximum traction yet. Then they should be ready to go.

BlackVR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2006 GTI
Thanks for the info! That was a good read. I'll probably just run them on the street for a day then take them back off and let them sit for the next two weeks before the first event then.

Steve516

Ready to race!
I used to deal with Bob quite a bit back in the day - glad to see he is still around. Get a good tire paint pen, and make a dot for each time you heat cycle the tire on the side wall. Once you start heat cycling a tire, in my experience, it's best to use it to the end... they won't last the winter in storage for example, except as rollers.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I used to deal with Bob quite a bit back in the day - glad to see he is still around. Get a good tire paint pen, and make a dot for each time you heat cycle the tire on the side wall. Once you start heat cycling a tire, in my experience, it's best to use it to the end... they won't last the winter in storage for example, except as rollers.

He's still a character, and quite the maniac behind the wheel of his 911. Helluva driver.

Steve516

Ready to race!
I remember many good laughs with Bob when I was working in Porsche road racing for Kelly-Moss and FireFly Racing. I nearly took a job working for him 15 years ago or so. I don't think he was driving back then, but nice to hear he is now :) Please say hello - not sure if he will remember me though.