GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headliner replacement

thecytochromec

Ready to race!
So I need to gather supplies for taking care of my sagging headliner. I am not too familiar with upholstery but based on what I've seen here I can do a couple of things, replace with OEM headliner/headboard or choose my own fabric. I'm leaning towards my own fabric. I was thinking of Alcantara but I'm a bit hesitant because like suede, the grain angle effects the color. I will cut off a bit of the existing sagging portion to use as a standard for color matching and will accept anything slightly darker and a bit more blue.

What's the best way to estimate the amount of material used? I'm thinking of using either a tape-measurer or mocking up something cheap with a lot of surface area like a big trashbag.

Who has a source for Alcantara online?

Is it easier to go OEM if you don't care to customize your interior?

Millennium Falcon

Ready to race!
7 yards i think i enough to do the headliner pillars and doors

This, but make sure you get automotive alcantara, if you dont it could look like poo to b/c it doesnt stretch or give in any way, I did mine and it was a PITA.

Usually an upholstery shop or fabric shop will have automotive head liner material, its stretched and has a nice foam backing.

BE CAREFUL AND DO YOUR VERY BEST TO SAVE THE AIRBAG TABS!!!!!!! They're $20 A PIECE!:mad:

Also I had to buy new metal clips, the dealer wanted 3.5 or 4.5 a piece for them, you will need 15-18 so add that cost in to your decision making. You can find them online for 1.5 a piece if you look. I forgot the part number too, sorry.

Good luck!

Duster117

Ready to race!

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
Car(s)
2006 GLI
if your only wanting to do the headliner, u will only need 2.5yrdsx60"
and u can reuse the metal clips. u just half to bend them back.
this is the diy I used. it on a jetta but its very close
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/headliner-sagging-replacement-jetta.htm

myturbodiesel ftw.

At this point, I might just buy a new headliner seeing it's less than 200.

I think the one I need is 1k5867501m (mentioned in the mtd link). Is there anyway I can cross-check this against my VIN?

Elliott

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
07 GOLF GTI MKV
I would disconect it just to be on the safe side however others say just don't have the key in contact. Your sat radio should also be ok however just to be safe if get the code from the dealer if you don't already have it. Mine didn't ask when reconnected but I also had the code so didn't matter either way.

thecytochromec

Ready to race!
I just replaced the headliner and wiring harness for the sunroof and headliner lights. I'm getting the reaction control and steering wheel lights now. I noticed the harness had an extra plug that didn't correspond to the original. Any suggestions?