GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Headlights are wrong i think please help

RedRocket1009

Car(s)
Golf MKV GTI 09
This has confused me so much, I just wanted to buy new headlights for my golf mkv gti, however I now know that there are some that come halogen and some that come with HID, I have always notice that the body lines of my car don't match up amazing with my headlights. Doing some research I saw that if the 8th digit of your vin is k then they have hid headlights, however my car has halogens clearly, how the hell does it have halogens, when they are not supposed to be able to fit into the car, I dude I bought the car from said there was a crash and he changed the headlights, but I am beyond baffled. Since there is halogens does this mean that there is no HID unit in the car, as well as having a halogen connector which is 10 pin into an hid connector which is 12 pin!!! Someone enlighten me I beg.

GTI's

Drag Racing Champion
MK5 GTI in the US came with HID Bi-Xenon headlight as standard equipment. The 8th digit of the VIN does not tell you anything about headlight usage in the car. Yes, some people have downgraded their HID GTI to use Halogen headlight because they did not want to spend the extra money for the HID. Seems this person did just that but may have used an adapter harness to go from the 12pin body side plug for the HID to 10 pin for the Halogen headlights and did not damage the original body side harness or plug. A scan tool is needed to check if the rest of the system for the HID is still intact and to code back to HID if you go and return them back to stock.

This has confused me so much, I just wanted to buy new headlights for my golf mkv gti, however I now know that there are some that come halogen and some that come with HID, I have always notice that the body lines of my car don't match up amazing with my headlights. Doing some research I saw that if the 8th digit of your vin is k then they have hid headlights, however my car has halogens clearly, how the hell does it have halogens, when they are not supposed to be able to fit into the car, I dude I bought the car from said there was a crash and he changed the headlights, but I am beyond baffled. Since there is halogens does this mean that there is no HID unit in the car, as well as having a halogen connector which is 10 pin into an hid connector which is 12 pin!!! Someone enlighten me I beg.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I thought that was made clear in the 2nd post.
:rolleyes:

He said "all MK5's" in #3...all I said was no since the Jetta & Rabbit didn't, and just the GTI/GLI did

/discussion