GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Head Unit Replacement Options

OWC

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys!

Long time since I've been here, and I'm sure the question(s) I'm going to ask will elicit a bit of groaning from some of you, BUT...

I was wondering what the situation is these days with replacing the OEM headunits that come with our cars? I remember all those EPIC threads that covered the WD6050 units, etc, but I was wondering if any of you could briefly summarise where things are at now?

I am looking to replace (finally out of warranty - didn't want to screw with anything during that period) my existing headunit with something from Waywell or Maisun (are they the same company?) in the next couple of weeks. What are the current options, and have the issues of battery drain been resolved from those providers?

Also, was there a guy called Tommy on here? I think I remember his name (or something similar) being bandied about as the go-to-guy with regard to getting a reliable, authentic unit (as opposed to the ones you could find on eBay).

Any light you boys can shed on the above will be most appreciated.

Cheers! :thumbup:

PS: Can someone tell me what this is? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DVD-GPS-TV-D...m&pt=AU_Electronics_GPS&hash=item414ecd00ee)?

Last edited:

OWC

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, so I've done a bit of research - judging by the lack of replies to this thread, this was what you guys wanted me to do!

There are three main companies I have ascertained as being the biggest providers of non-OEM (and cheaply-made) head units: Waywell, Maisun and Audiosources. From what I can tell, Waywell and Maisun manufacture the same unit (WD6050 / MT6505, respectively), while Audiosources make a similar unit (AS7608), but they are a different company.

I have read various comments for and against each unit. What I'd like to know is if people have personal experiences with each of these units. What are the pros and cons of each?

I have read more positive reviews for the Audiosources unit, but at the same time people swear by the Waywell/Maisun unit too. They are comparably priced, but the Audiosources unit seems to offer more features.

Again, any help would be great. There've been a few views of this thread, so come on guys, help a brother out!

Cheers.

buckets

Ready to race!
Mate, I'd love to advise you to get one over the other, but I only have experience with the Waywell. And I wouldn't recommend it.

A lack of support from the manufacturer when things don't operate the way they should, a dysfunctional iPod interface supplied with the unit, the unit doesn't support VW OEM iPod adaptor or CD changer all combined to make this a forgettable experience. Add to that the problems with power drain (not experienced personally), only partial integration with the car (physically they are quite good, however the firmware doesn't work well with our vehicles) and a number of faulty amplifier ICs (which caused speakers to self destruct...personally experienced) all lead me to advise you to save your pennies and get yourself an RNS or RCD.

I'm sure you'll come to your own conclusion, but you asked for some personal stories. If you want to buy my old Waywell (which still does everything it's supposed to....but with some added popping sounds) you can have it for $200. As we both live in Melbourne, I will even meet with you so there is no postage costs. That way you can get the experience without all of the expense.:rolleyes:

tooraktrash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 Golf GTI
I'm really against getting any of these after market units.

As Buckets said, save your pennies and get an OEM option. If not, go for one of the Pioneer or Alpine units, at least you are still putting some quality into the car.

Think about it, probably one of they factors why you chose a GTI is because you appreciate the quality. Don't degrade your car and stick some Chinese crap in it.

I have no personal experience but from what it seems, you get what you pay for.

OWC

Passed Driver's Ed
Awesome guys, thanks for the replies.

You've both basically confirmed what I've been suspecting. I think I'll just option a setup into the next car I buy, instead of trying to find a cheap fix.

Buckets, thanks for the offer, but I'll kindly decline :bellyroll: