GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

He says: Why did you buy a Volkswagen!

dvdre

Where is pancakes house?
I say: Bought a new car this week.

Co-worker says: Oh yeah, what?

I say: Volkswagen GTI

He says: You bought a Volkswagen! They are horrible! Talk to me in a year about your unidentified electrical problem. They are very unreliable.

I say: I researched it, I don't think so.

And that was it. But I did research it. If I had said to my friend, 'an Audi,' he would have said. ... 'Cool.' It is the VW rep at work here. But I know that the GTI and the Audi A3 are almost exactly the same car, in most things that matter.

The 2.0 FSI Turbo is used in a wide range of cars (including the A3 and A4), and from all that I can see, the engine itself is reliable.

I do expect rattles and some annoying problems. That is well documented. I can live with that. I have a 4 year/50000 warranty on most parts and 5/60000 on the drivetrain. I can live with a few problems here and there, as long as I don't have to pay for them.

From what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, the VW GTI is pretty average in reliability. If you push it too hard, you invite problems. (Fast tire and brake wear, for example.)

Too bad VW has this reputation. On the other hand, the Golf/Audi cars based on this platform sell huge numbers in Europe, and they are extremely popular there.

Last edited:

WakeHead

WakeHead
Car(s)
2008 R32 #0146
Your friend is jealous of you having a nice, fast, new car and needed to put you down.

What is his current ride?

Pnguyen1028

Ready to race!
I get that "Wtf? You bought a volkswagen?" bullshit all the time.

Granted I'm an asian 20 year old and most of my friends are japanese import junkies... I've learned to adapt to it.

I don't even tell people I have a GTI anymore cause most of the people I talk to don't even know what that is.

Me "A volkswagen GTI"
Them "What? You drive a GT-R?".

... I just tell them that I drive a little volkswagen.

Syxx Shotter

Has an "S" on his chest
I've gotten the same shit before. Now I just laugh. But I have noticed that most people have no idea what a GTI is. Everyone usually acts like I meant to say GTO; and ask me "do you have the 5.7 or the 6.0"?

sinistro

Ready to race!
You got an excellent car. Car and driver top 10 car of the year, re-sale value went up, so did reliability... I'll bet his american truck doesn't have any of those.

theholycow

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1980 Buick LeSabre
I don't care very much what others think. If I did I wouldn't have chosen a little hatchback. I chose this car because of how I feel sitting in it and driving it.

slickvic

I scare other drivers
He says: You bought a Volkswagen! They are horrible! Talk to me in a year about your unidentified electrical problem. They are very unreliable.

This is just another case of public perception from an uninformed citizen. Sure the last generation of Jettas and GTIs had a number of electrical issues most likely due to Volkswagen attempting to save a few dollars in manufacturing production that ended up biting them in the ass. (sub standard coil packs, electrical wiring harness connector problems that caused invalid sensor readings, etc) Obviously VW learned their lesson and has greatly improved quality control.

easyman

Ready to race!
i have the same perception and I know first hand of several late model VW owners with electrical gremlins. But knowing that I still think the GTI is the best car at its price point. For about 25k you get a well handling german car and with the autobahn package it has almost the same amenities as my bimmer. When I grad in a year I am most likely going to step into a GTI

eurotrash.

i has candy
Car(s)
Volkswagen Golf GTI
should of told him you drive a m4d tyt3 dr1ft3r nIss@N 240sx Type-GTR spec V Tommi Makkinen edition

that'll earn you respect points for sure