GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hawk Pads? Rotors?

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
So, I've decided that I'm going to buy new rotors and, most likely, Hawk pads sometime soon because I honestly can't handle my screechy brakes every time I leave my car sitting for five minutes and I was wondering if someone could give some advice about which ones are the best.

I've read good things about the Hawk pads so I think I'm going to go with those. But, they don't sell rotors? I'm assuming that it's ok to buy a different brand of rotors than the brand of the pads, right?

OR, do I even need to buy new pads? Because it seems like it's just the rotors that are causing the problem.

.......... Sorry if this is an old topic btw. Kind of a noob. :S

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
The howling is a byproduct of the higher carbon content in the OE discs. This is actually a good thing as this form of cast iron produces a higher coefficient of friction. The negative is that it also means that they quickly rust on their surface.

That layer is quickly removed with a few brake applications, hence the noise going away after you get going. Just be careful, as anyone passing by with any excess perspiration issues, or breathing heavily near the car, will cause it to return just as quickly.

If you want quiet brakes, you're going to have to sacrifice potential braking power...

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Hmm, I hate hearing that noise every single morning when I leave for class.. I've actually been told by several people that replacing the rotors and pads would solve the problem so I would probably rather go with buying those. I'm not buying either for some time but I just thought it would be nice to know what I need to price, and how much installation fees would most likely be.

Thanks for the info!

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
Assuming it's not really every 5 minutes...

Getting new rotors/pads may solve the problem until the anti-rust coating rubs off then you'll have the same issue.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
You'd be surprised.... But I guess I'll deal with it for now.

dustinwark

Miesian
Car(s)
'07 VW GTI
My hawk pads don't squeal like the OE pads did. I went with Adam's Rotors, but I believe the rotors all use similar material.

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
O rly? What kind of Hawks do you have? And I'll check those rotors out too! I haven't heard of that brand before.

junker

You get an 'F'!
Car(s)
MkV GTI FSI
I'd start by removing and cleaning your front rotors, apply anti-squeal to the back of the pads, and lube the caliper pins. Then, go and - safely - warm them up and do 5-10 agressive stops to try to transfer some fresh pad material to the rotors.

I didn't have much noise from the stocks, only on a rare occasion coming to a stop over 4 year with HPS, and non so far with my new Endless pads.

http://golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167216

codaloo

Adventure Seeker
Car(s)
'09 GTI
Yeah, I would have cleaned them a long time ago but I don't have the proper tools or a jack, unfortunately. I know someone who would have them though so I'll ask him about borrowing the things I'd need.

I haven't checked out the Endless pads either so I'll be sure to give them a look, too, haha. Thanks!

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
For the OP, have you actually checked your pad thickness?

Usually rusty rotors don't cause a screaching, more like a metalic light grinding, and only for the first few stops of the day. I wonder if you just need to apply some anti-squeal to the back of your pads...

Are you running the stock brake pads/rotors now?

GIACUser

Master Wallet Mechanic
Car(s)
MK 6 GolfR
For the OP, have you actually checked your pad thickness?

Usually rusty rotors don't cause a screaching, more like a metalic light grinding, and only for the first few stops of the day. I wonder if you just need to apply some anti-squeal to the back of your pads...

Are you running the stock brake pads/rotors now?

x2 assuming you have appropriate pad material left, and your rotors look ok, pull the pads out and coat the backs with Disc Brake Quiet or similar brake grease. It is really what prevents the squealing. I have changed my stock pads once with stockers and this time I went with Hawk HPS and they have always been very quiet.

Do not get the grease on anything but the back of the pads for obvious reasons and use a spreader.

Likely this is a 5.00 fix if you pads and rotors are in good shape

rs_hunter

Ich blute VW-Blau & weiße
This is probably the best stuff out there for vibration induced noise and it's available locally...

CRC Brake Quiet

You'll need to decide whether you're more interested in noise reduction or performance when it comes to pad choices. If you're serious about track days, as you mentioned in another thread, then you'll need a more aggressive pad which will be far more likely to make noise. Things like dusting will also be more prevalent with an aggressive lining material.