GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Have you seen your GTI's fast? I have!

givenuponsociety

Autocross Newbie
I love the fast and the un-pimp your ride ads are great also.....they really stick it to conventionaly car marketing and of course some tacky modders.

GTT

Touring Car Champion
Double-V said:
I'm 36, and was intrigued by the GTI, but up until a month ago, my next car was going to be a Saab 9-3 Aero Sportcombi, an Audi A3, or a Subaru Legacy GT wagon, with the A3 being the odds-on favorite. The GTI didn't enter into my mind as a serious contender because the A3's styling appealed to me more.

The Fast commercials caught my attention and led me to check out a GTI at the auto show - I had been intending to skip the VW display entirely. I liked it there. I saw more Fast ads, and went to the dealership to check it out. Now I have a deposit on a 4-door with luxury leather package and rear airbags. My wife and I now use the term "Fast" (like when she asked if my Fast liked the company ski day).

So, yeah, the Fast ads were effective, and not on an under 35 demographic!

Yeah, but you're Canadian, so... :wub:
:)

T

trick000

FIA World Rally Car Champion
I like all their ads. I guess it appeals to my sense of humor. I've been a honda guy for quite some time now (civic and rsx) and the one thing that persuaded me to buy the GTI is the DSG transmission. Otherwise I wouldve bought an SI.

I'm still a little afraid of the reliablity factor though.

DanishKings

Car(s)
GTI
Yes, but these, I don't like.

Especially the guy who makes that VW symbol with his hands...I have to turn the channel when it comes on.

I think if my wife sees me do that again she'll divorce me. So now I have to do it when i'm at work, etc.

It's actually taken a lot of work for me to go from a VW hater to an owner. I suspect the 'unpimping' commercials helped. When i purchased my previous car in 2004 the gti wasn't even on my radar. I ended up with mazda 3, very happy with that car. The MkV jumped into the picture by providing solid performance and features for the 'euro markup' Apparently it cost them bigtime as they are rolling back features now.

Fivespeedg

Ready to race!
I think if my wife sees me do that again she'll divorce me. So now I have to do it when i'm at work, etc.

It's actually taken a lot of work for me to go from a VW hater to an owner. I suspect the 'unpimping' commercials helped. When i purchased my previous car in 2004 the gti wasn't even on my radar. I ended up with mazda 3, very happy with that car. The MkV jumped into the picture by providing solid performance and features for the 'euro markup' Apparently it cost them bigtime as they are rolling back features now.

Thread bump--meh...Still a relevant topic 2 years later.

VW needed a performance vehicle kick after the MKIV platform. The R32 was a great car, but the Brazilian-built GTI left a bit to be desired.

The easiest target at the time was import vehicles. Import trends were still exploding from the F&F movies, so it was easy to poke a little fun using catch phrases and "young" terminology. So, we had a decidedly German/Dutch guy dressed proper using phrases like "Drop it like it's hot" and "Unpimp your auto.."

Add to the fact that the Volkswagen brand was developing a rather soft image. "The Force of Good" campaign was a bit existential and really catered to the passed-down "free love" generation of older Beetle buyers. Jettas had seen their hayday by 2001, and the GLI reappeared silently until the end of the run when it got it's own model/treatment. The GTI was turning into a nightmare of build quality and really lacked an edge over the standard golf.

So, VW designed a commercial designed to showcase it's Germanic roots, introduce a vehicle that was less flowery and with fewer hallucinations...Something with aggression and a competitive streak. Enter the GTI, Helga, and Hans, representing Deutschland.

2 years later, I'm pretty sure it's been successful :thumbup:

Khobin~

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'07 GTI, '97 YZF600R
The "un-pimp Vee Auto" commericals were piss-your-pants hilarous...:laugh:

A never seen the "fast" ads until a few days before we picked up the car and my goolged "fast" and came up with the ads on Youtube...some good stuff there too.

But perhaps My favorite VW ad has to be a tie between the one where the guy licks the door handle of HIS Jetta on the dealer lot, and the one where the guy parks, a shopping cart comes rolling at the car, and then he dive-tackles it :laugh:

VW always seems to have great commericals :thumbup: